You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tree

We bought the tree from the grocery store. I pushed the kids home in the stroller while the husband walked ahead of us, the big tree leaning against his back as he dragged in along. The boy was asleep by the time we reached our house so I lay him on the mat in the hallway while I took off his snowsuit and then tucked him in bed. The girl started asking to decorate the tree before it was even in the house.

The boy decided that he didn't want to sleep longer then ten minutes so he joined us in wresting the tree into its stand. The girl remained focused on decorating the tree. We said that it would need to defrost and fill out first. Then we surrendered and opened the box of ornaments.

I sat on the couch fiddling with the star lights to hang in our window while the kids decorated the tree. Ornaments were clustered on the bottom left of the tree; two or three ornament hung on each branch. They were so pleased with themselves. So happy.

I remembered that I should take a picture. I grabbed the video camera from on top of the fridge and leaned into the living room from the hallway. I watched the kids through the screen as they helped each other slip the hooks of the ornaments onto the branches.

The tree looks beautiful. Every time I see it I smile. Even when I am cranky about the mess, the kids not listening, the coats flung everywhere. the demands barked at me. The tree makes me smile.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sitting in front of mine right now. Smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mine makes me smile too. especially when i drove home and see it twinkling in the front window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Mine was decorated by toddlers too. Funny how most of the decorations have mysteriously moved towards the top of our tree - out of the reach of toddlers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tree makes me smile too. Xmas trees are happy things.

    ReplyDelete