You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, December 17, 2010

Presents from the girl

I stepped onto the bus to call to the girl and hurry her along. The bus was ten minutes late and there were lots of stops after us. She bounded towards me and all I noticed was the brightly wrapped packages in her arms. Which she started to unwrap as she walked down the steps.

Look what I bought she said of the wrapped presents. There is one for my brother, and one for you, and one for dad.

Let's go inside I said, waving to where the boy sat in the front window watching us. Wait until we get inside to open them!

The girl complied only because she was distracted with telling me all about buying the gifts in the school gym. We had sent her with a handful of quarters zipped into a plastic bag this morning to shop in the parent run store. Gently-used donated items were up for sale to all the kids, with volunteers on hand to wrap them with paper and bows.

The girl started to pull the first present from a gift bag as soon as I opened the front door. This is for him she said of her brother. How about we let him open it then I suggested. Too late. Instead she handed it to him just as he came around the corner. It's a fluffy bunny she said. He grabbed the bunny and gave it a hug.

How about we take off your snowsuit and sit on the couch? I suggested. The girl stopped long enough to take off her coat and then started to open the second present. This is for you she told me. It's a Dora umbrella! For you to use when it is raining. It will be good in the rain.

Wow! I say as I take the bright pink child's umbrella covered in images of Dora and Boots from the girl. I love it.

And I got dad a book about wood. Because he really likes wood. Do you think he will like it?

Yes I said, certain that the husband has never ever read a book about wood. Never mind made anything with wood. It was very thoughtful. He will love it.

The girl chattered on about all the presents. She hugged the bunny. She opened up the umbrella to illustrate its usefulness. The excitement was high, which meant that the only possible ending to the scene was tears. They came when the girl twirled around with the umbrella and poked her brother in the eye.

I held him on my lap and cuddled him while he cried. Would you like to say thank you? the girl asked me politely. Of course I said.

Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED this!

    (and I have two oddly-shaped brown-bagged packages under the tree, done up with TONS of sticky tape and STRICT instructions not to even THINK about opening them before Christmas. I can't wait!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet - and adorable. Thank you for sharing this family moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this too!
    It reminded me of the Christmas when my oldest was just about two. On Christmas morning she handed me my carefully wrapped present and said: "Here are your slippers Mommy!". My husband and I were dying laughing but trying not to show it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL "Because he really likes wood". Kids are hilarious.
    Very sweet and fun moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids school does the same thing during their Holiday fundraising fair. It's always "interesting" to see what they pick :)

    ReplyDelete