You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Poetry

She was sitting at the table eating her peas. I made up a poem, struggling to rhyme as I went along. She liked it and stopped calling everything bad, bad mom bad grocery list bad writing, long enough to listen.

She asked for more when I stopped but I said I was all out of poems. So she started to make up her own.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe
She had so many children she didn't know what to do

We smiled at her poem, and so encouraged, she continued on.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe
Because she didn't know what to do
She started to eat her children!

The last line was said gleefully. For a moment there was silence and then the husband and I broke into laughter. I looked at him accusingly as if to say gee, I wonder where she would get an idea like that from. He shrugged as if to say what? okay fine all my stories involve baking the main characters in pies. so what?

We just looked at each other and then her. And kept listening to her poetry.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe
She had so many children that she baked them in a pie!
Ha ha

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Heapings of adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told you she was a poet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a poet
    And she even knows it.
    Ha!

    It's funny, I have had this poem stuck in my head all week. And here it is, on your blog. Hello, Brie. I have been hectic ... but I just read read about the cranberry sauce on crackers, the running of the capes ... the helping out at school.

    Beautiful insights, all. (I watched your makeover the other day .... OH MY GOD YOU ARE STUNNING!!!!!) *wolf whistle*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah ... I don't just read your blog. I READ READ it :)

    ReplyDelete