You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, December 3, 2010

Compliance

Neither of my children are particularly compliant.

The girl likes to verify that I really mean what I say before she complies. Repeatedly.

Can I watch another video?

No.

Just one more video!

No.

How about I watch one more video?

No.

Only one more?

No.

I have a great idea. How about one more video!

No.

It will be the last video.

No.

I'm going to watch one more!

No.

Can I watch just one more?

No.

I think I should watch one more.

No.

Even as I long to gouge out my ears with blunt, broken crayons, I still admire her perseverance.

The boy prefers to ignore me.

We aren't going to have any treats.

There aren't any treats in that cupboard.

Please put the chair back at the table.

Please get down off the chair.

Get down off the chair.

Don't climb on the counter. There aren't any treats in the cupboard.

I told you there aren't any in the cupboard. Let go of the doors.

Please get off the chair or I am going to lift you down.

Don't push me.

When ignoring me doesn't get him what he wants he does the only thing left. Watching him stand in the middle of the hallway crying with all his might, I can't help but admire his sense of conviction. If not his compliance.

8 comments:

  1. This cracked me up because your girl reminds me of my youngest daughter who is now 15. Perseverance. Just look out. When mine got older she added: Why? But why?
    What's the reason? But why? Give me a good reason!: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinn and Juliette are like the boy. I'm not used to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear - yup both of mine minus a few years :s. At least they are determined and hopefully this will translate into tenacity when older about following what they love....at least that is what I keep hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dialogue with your daughter reminds me of "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus". Which, if you haven't read it, is a fabulous children's book. I love me some Mo Willems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was terrific! I laughed and sadly, could relate, because one of my kids is perseverant while ignoring me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I was thinking the same thing as Amber...the boys love "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus". Maybe that's where they get their "if I ask one more time..." ideas from...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe this skill will come in useful when they are all grown up. Negotiating a mortgage lets say... never take no for an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAHA!! Love this post! If you were to have a third child, it could be like at my house with the "but you said I could!!" and "YOU PROMISED" compliance! This is the technique my oldest (8yo) uses with me...trying to convince ME that I said it was ok already!! Aren't kids fun?? xo

    ReplyDelete