You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Searching for Bliss

It feels strange to sit for hours on end doing nothing but learning. My brain quickly overloads and I need to pour myself another coffee, maybe just one more, to make it through. People talk, I listen. People talk, I type. I think back to my school days when I would drag a pen across my notebook paper trying to write as fast as the teacher was talking. Now I type my thoughts and press send, watching as they disappear into the invisible world of Twitter. Never forgetting the hashtag.

BlissDom Canada was my second social media conference. I liked it more and less then BlogHer'10. I liked that it was small. I had a chance to meet and connect with more people then I did last August. I liked that the Canadian perspective was always present. I liked that I found myself thinking and thinking about where I am and what I want to do next.

It would be hard to top BlogHer'10. I was full of excitement and giddy to be at my first conference. I was inspired by many of the writing sessions. I was in New York City. Nothing can top New York City.

They both challenged me. I can tell that they will both change me. Already BlogHer'10 has lead me in some new directions. I have started a writing group with other local bloggers. I am exploring fiction writing. I have a better understanding of who I am as a blogger.

I learnt a lot at BlissDom. It exceeded most of my expectations and I am so glad that I went. I would need another three days away just to process all I heard. But what I wanted most from BlissDom I didn't quite get. I wanted to the answer to my question "what next?". Where do I go now? I wanted to know how to brand myself and Capital Mom. I wanted to be told how.

Maybe no one can tell me that. Maybe there is no answer. No easy one anyway. Maybe all I can do is keep stumbling along, grabbing my moments to think and write here at night when the kids are sleeping or in the afternoon when the boy has a nap. Keep trying to draw all the pieces together in my mind and figure out where I go from here.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like Blissdom was a great experience. It is so helpful to chat with others and gain new perspectives. I look forward to reading your work, wherever you take it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure smoke already came out my ears this week with all the blissdom thoughts swirling around. We'll all figure it out together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think figuring out your personal brand is probably something that's hard to teach. I think that you know more than you think you do about your brand. I think you have a sense of what it is, you just need to write it down.
    I think the 5 word exercise is a good one. I think the one word one is too limiting. You aren't just one thing. But 5 words can bring you focus. Maybe it's moments, mother, writer, thoughtful, family. I don't know, that was just off the top of my head. But figuring out five words that describe what you want your blog to be and why can give you the direction to start the long form of your "brand".
    Or at least that's what I came away with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that not only is there no single answer on how create your brand, but that your answer changes as you and your blog change. In a year, you will be different, and so will your brand. And that's OK. Better than OK.

    I'm glad to hear that both conferences is good. BlogHer '11 will be my first big conference (I'm all registered already!), and I'm really looking forward to it. And I'm also totally terrified, too.

    ReplyDelete