You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Howl

He sits in the middle of the hallway and cries. Big tears that seems to be endless. The front door has just shut behind his dad and sister on their way to the school bus drop off. He wants to go too.

I sit him on my lap and hold him tight. Dad asked you if you wanted to go and you said no I told him. Next time if you want to go you have to say yes. Then you'll be ready in time. That makes him cry even harder.

I start to cry too. Loud, exaggerated howling sobs that echo his. He stops for a moment to look at me. Then he laughs. He laughs as I continue to wail, a smile on my face. I am determined to outdo him.

We are quiet for a few minutes, sitting together under a warm blanket. Then he remembers the injustice of it all and his cries start again. So do mine.

8 comments:

  1. i hope the day got better from there. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes. The blessings and curses of being little and living in the moment. A change of scene, a drink of choice and move forward. The day is still young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really meant my tears to be a bit mocking. He cheered right up after awhile, and my "tears" worked to divert attention from his own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe. whenever I try that I get yelled at ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, that tactic doesn't work for me. It would be super-handy if it did, though. There is a lot of howling in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. I do it too .... sometimes my tears are actually real. He only stops when he is ready to stop, and not a second before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..the injustice of it all. That's great. It really is an injustice to them isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this recently but my little guy got really freaked out and started crying hysterically! Doesn't quite understand yet :) Love your sweet little stories.

    ReplyDelete