You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Unbirthday

Yesterday was my birthday. It was a very unbirthday.

I was still feeling sad about Odin.
I was dealing with some personal stress. For some reason I haven't been dealing well with any kind of stress these past few weeks.
I was sick with a stomach bug and my appetite was gone. It really isn't a birthday unless there is a cupcake. Soup doesn't cut it.

I try not to have high expectations about my birthday. In the past I have always ended up feeling disappointed. Now all I expect is a few well wishes and a card from the kids. My kids (well really the husband) made me lovely cards. I had lots of well wishes. Thank you.

Now I am dusting myself off from yesterday and trying to fix a smile firmly in place. The sadness and stress and stomach bug are all still there. But today I will try a little bit harder. And if I have learnt anything in my now thirty-four years, life is all about trying.

15 comments:

  1. Aw, it especially stinks to be under-the-weather on your birthday. Hope the rest of the year is much, much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erg... My 30th Birthday was like that. I was flat on my back sick. I insited on going out for sushi at my favorite place, I was determined not to have a bad birthday. Yeah... Sushi bad idea. Turns out I had a superbug. Yay.

    This weekend, once you feel better, maybe then you can have a belated birthday celebration! You must, must, must have a cupcake (or two) then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we have days like that we use the phrase keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so sorry to hear! You should feel extra special on your birthday, not sick, stressed and sad! :-(

    I hope things turn around for you soon. And I agree, you MUST have a cupcake when you're feeling better. Happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is not the greatest sounding birthday.

    Good thing that I believe in birthday months! This means that you can still celebrate your day on the weekend (when at least your stomach is feeling better). Off you go for a cupcake! I know it won't elimate the other sadness and stresses...but it might give you a break from them for an hour or so.

    Happy unBirthday to you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Holly I am loving your birthday month idea. Since September has kind of sucked I may just make October my birthday month. With lots of cupcakes. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Unbirthday to you :) I hope today is a better today. We usually do a birthday week for everyone. Lots of celebrating. Lots of cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how everyone knows to tell me to eat a cupcake. :-) Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This weekend could be the perfect time for a nice evening out with some cupcakes...
    Hey... you should go to that cupcake event this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to you. I think you should definitely embrace the idea of a birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday! By the way today is my birthday. I hope you celebrate when you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear your birthday kind of sucked! I have learned that if I want my birthday to be awesome...I should plan it myself! I do my own shopping for gifts, I make my own cake, I organize my own party. It sounds ridiculous and sad and yet, it pleases me :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, if you need cupcakes, I hear there's something going on this weekend... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday! I hope that stomach bug is long past, now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated as well. I really really hate my birthday. But I'm realizing that it's essential that I do something nice on it. Something low stress. And now I'm thinking cupcakes really ought to be involved ;)

    ReplyDelete