You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bribe

When she got off the bus there were no tears. I didn't cry she said. Yay I said. I wanted to ask more but she was distracted by the dogs waiting at the bus stop with us. She pet them and they licked her. Everyone was thrilled.

We walked home. I went to drop off the boy's push car on the porch and when she saw me she yelled. I want to go to the restaurant! she hollered. She had not forgotten the promise I had made her yesterday. No crying at school or on the bus and we can go to the diner for lunch I had told her, not really believing that the bribe I was offering would work.

It did.

The three of us sat in a booth. She ate her grilled cheese sandwich and he ate his mac and cheese. Much milk was spilt. A large tip was left for the server.

I cried in the playground she said to me on the way home. What? I asked. You cried before school started in the playground? Yes she said, happy to be truthful now that her stomach was full.

I didn't care. There may have been some tears, there may still be tears, but having her get off the bus with a smile instead of tears was worth the price of a grilled cheese sandwich.

9 comments:

  1. Glad she made it through with only a few tears. Nothing like yesterday. Now for tomorrow's bribery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You do what you do to survive. There's a firetruck on the line in our house. Nail biter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby steps, baby steps but a lot of progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She'll get there eventually! It's such a tough transition for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got me missing the diner with that one. Those servers are angels. And the crayons help, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's tough, but I'm sure you'll all get there x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, that's a technicality. The playground isn't really "school". Grilled cheese is fair : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not referring to it as an incentive, not a bribe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw! That's great that she was honest though. That's too funny. Additionally, this made me want to eat at a diner, have a grilled cheese an a milk shake. Not that a milk shake was mentioned, but...you know diners, milk shakes they go together.

    ReplyDelete