You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Monday, August 2, 2010

Fate?

Do you believe in fate? I asked him as we sat at a table in the bar of a theater in Brixton on our unofficial first date. No, he said, I don't believe in fate. I believe in chance.

I knew he was wrong. Already, I knew he was wrong. Here we were, sitting across from each other on the other side of the world from home. So much in common, so much to start from. Was that chance? No.

Chance. As if our meeting was random. Accidental.

We had met on the street. Brought together by a series of planned circumstances and impulsive decisions. Anything different and we may not have met. But we did.

This post was based on the Writing Workshop prompt Fate over at Sleep is for the Weak.

7 comments:

  1. totally sounds like fate to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever think about all the 'almost' meetings you could have had? My DH and I had at least 3 opportunities to meet when we didn't actually (we were at the same place, just moments or days apart).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was fate for DH and I. I actually left the bar (yes, we met at a bar) with girlfriends after not being able to get up the courage to go over and talk to him. My friend heard a song start playing and insisted we go back for one more dance. We danced and its been 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think sometimes things happen and we just don't see them coming. and can't avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post - something was definitely pulling the strings in that situation! Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oohh I want more - who planned it, why, how???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Nickie, we need more info! I definately believe in fate, it was definately meant to be :)

    ReplyDelete