You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, August 8, 2010

BlogHer moments

Lying in a warm bed waiting for the clock to read 4am so I can finally justify climbing out.
Sitting in the back of a taxi as we drive through dark streets on the way to the airport.
Waiting in the lounge with a friend for the plane to board while drinking coffee and laughing excitedly.
Cursing in my head as the shuttle drives back and forth between terminals for half an hour picking up passengers until the van is full and I feel car sick.
Standing in Times Square with a camera in one hand and a smile on my face.
Glimpsing her walk down the stairs into the darkened room and rushing to hug the person behind the words.
Driving through the streets of New York City on the top deck of a double decker bus in the heat of the day and wishing I hadn't forgotten my hat.
Seeing us all together in a city other then our home.
Watching a friend giddy with happiness over meeting the person she most wanted to meet.
Lounging in a pinkly lit room as the music pulsated and women posed with plastic umbrellas.
Walking past horse drawn carriages stopped in front of Central Park and smelling the horse poo as the night descends upon us.
Waking with a jolt at an unreasonable hour as the excitement of the day to come overwhelms me.
Making plans for next year before the day had barely begun.
Listening to the words I have come to believe I needed to hear.
Starting to type as the words I hear fill me with inspiration.
Continuing to type as thanks filter in for the words I am tweeting.
Talking with women just like me while we eat and share our lives as mothers.
Thinking about community and blogging and how they have come to mean the same thing for me.
Admiring all the women I hear speak about their loves and passions and lives.
Trying not to cry, crying and but also laughing as the speakers proudly read their words at the front of the room.
Swearing as much as I want to just because I can.
Packing and storing my many bags with friends until I can retrieve them later.
Checking out, for now.
Deciding to be both a better blogger and a better writer.
Feeling like time is moving too fast.
Believing that small blogs are beautiful and stats aren't the only measure of success.
Wishing I could be less afraid of talking to people I don't know but accepting that is who I am.
Resolving to try harder next year.
Checking in, again, but this time with the husband who has arrived only hours ago to be with me.
Missing the kids less then I would have thought.
Realizing just how much I need this time away and feeling grateful for it.
Eating good food at a full table of friends in a small Italian restaurant.
Dressing up in new clothes I would never wear at home.
Retreating to the hallway with a friend I had wanted to meet so we could share with each other away from the loud noise of the parties.
Crying over the kind words of a woman I admire as I wait for the elevator to take me back to my room and bed.
Loving all the people I had met, the things I had done and the ideas I had learnt.
Wanting to do it all over again.

18 comments:

  1. Awesome! Sounds like you had an amazing time. Can't wait to hear from everyone who was there! Thanks for my first peek into the BlogHer experience! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the best! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience. I'm so happy you got to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of those were shared moments and I was so lucky to get to share them with you. San Diego... going to make it happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh. Wonderful post. Wonderful lady. Wonderful writer. Wonderful friend.
    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you left with a feeling like small blogs and stats don't make for a good blog, that's not how I felt after Chicago's last year. So many of the other things though: ditto.

    It's such an energizing conference, I'm so glad you were able to go. I'm hoping I can again in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could see the snapshots of you trip in my head as I read your post. Sounds fun, inspiring and a welldeservered trip. So glad that you shared so much in your tweets and in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! What a fabulous experience for you! You are an exceptional person, a thought-provoking writer, and a mother I ABSOLUTELY agree with 100% of the written moments I've gotten to share with you. So happy for you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved following your tweets! Welcome home!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, thank you for this! It's really evocative. I am so glad I had the opportunity to get to know you better as well as to meet your hubby. It was such an experience, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. And I'm so happy that you enjoyed your first BlogHer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautifully written Capital Mom. You may say that you are shy for so many things, but your boldness, assertiveness and smile made me see so much more in you then I have ever had the chance to at home. I was so happy to share in your weekend at BlogHer so that I had the opportunity to spent that special time with you. I look forward to next year, even before I am sure I can get there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like it was an incredible experience. so glad it was positive for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so wonderful, i wish i had been there to share it with you. But I was so grateful to be able to read your tweets and share virtually! Thanks Brie!

    ReplyDelete