You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Letting go

How am I supposed to do this? Let her go.

There was a time when she was always in my arms. On me. Next to me. When she started to crawl, she was always in my line of sight. When she started to walk, she always ran back to me.

Now she waves me away so that she can go and join her friends. Backpack on, her snacks tucked inside her new and much treasured little bento boxes, she leaves me standing in the gym while she makes her own adventures.

The boy stands beside me. Always with me. For now, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. My daughter used to be a cling-on until Preschool. I thought I'd never get her off of of me. At her first day of Preschool she sat at a table and started to color. Then she looked up at me and said "You can go now mum." My heart almost stopped! I didn't believe it so I hung around a bit longer until I saw her looking at me with annoyance and embarrassment. She repeated herself, "You can go now mum." I wandered out the door in shock and elation. I'd done it! I'd done something right. My extremely shy cling-on child was now able to let me out of her sight.

    Now I wait impatiently for her hugs and kisses. I'm missing those chubby arms and sweaty fingers around my neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the moments that make me want to have 3 more kids, just to delay the leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I understand. With my oldest starting school in September, I feel it more acutely than ever. Also he was invited to his first, nt-one-of-our-friends-kids (I know, mouthful) birthday party this weekend. A little boy he met on the school yard when at daycare. This, for some reasons, makes him seem so big!

    ReplyDelete