You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Japanese

I had signed her up for Spanish classes. The school board is offering free language classes at schools across the city during the month of July. Spanish is being offered at the school she will start kindergarten at sooner then I am ready for. So we went to the school yesterday, they checked our paperwork and I paid the ten dollar registration fee.

Sitting at the side of the wading pool yesterday afternoon I started chatting with the mom of a boy from the girl's preschool. Her kids were signed up for Japanese classes at the same school. In fact, the mom had been talked into teaching the class. When I told the girl this, and mentioned the name of another boy from her preschool who would be in the class, she decided she wanted to learn Japanese too. Despite the fact that the only word she knows in Japanese is sushi.

When the boy woke up at 5am this morning I knew it would be a long day. While I haven't conducted a scientific study, I find days where he wakes up before 5:30 am to be harder. On me and him. Early mornings mean he wants to fall asleep as soon as we go anywhere in the stroller and so I spend all my energies keeping him awake. Because, while he could nap in the stroller, I want an hour or two to myself while he naps and his sister reads or watches a video.

He was almost asleep when we go to the girl's school at quarter to nine. His eyes opened when I pulled him out of the stroller and while he squeaked a bit, he perked up when we entered the school. Both kids sat quietly on chairs in the office while I moved the girl from Spanish to Japanese class. Of coarse, once that was done I started to worry. That she wouldn't like the class, that she would want me, that she wouldn't understand a thing!

So I worried while I walked back to the park with the boy. I worried on and off while I enjoyed a lovely morning with friends in the park. I worried when it came time to leave and pick up the girl because I couldn't figure out how to go get her without the boy falling asleep. And then I worried about leaving the boy with friends at the park while I borrowed a car and zipped off to get her.  Because he was so very tired and as I left he started to cry. He cried most of the time I was gone, despite the comforts and distractions being provided by my friends. He cried until he fell asleep in the stroller.

That's where I found him once I made it back to the park. The girl had been late leaving her class and I had just grabbed her and run, thinking about the boy the whole time. I remembered to ask her how she liked her Japanese class, but I don't remember her answer.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been wanting the kids and I to take a Japanese class, but the last time I looked there wasn't one near us. I'm all jealous of the girl! I've picked up a few words here and there from listening to DH talk to his parents, but not as much as I'd like to know. I hope she likes the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I speak karate class Japanese. I know words like 'kick' and 'punch', and I can count to 10. Ish. Believe it or not, this actually came in handy once when I took a photo of a Japanese tourist in Vancouver. She said 'mawash' as she showed me how to turn a knob on her camera, and because 'mawashi geri' is turning kick, I knew just what she meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's very cool that you are exposing the girl to new languages!
    And I don't think you need a scientific experiment to prove that 5:00am wake up days are HARD.
    You're a good mom. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Good moms worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh poor boy. I am looking forward to hearing how this class goes. It sounds like a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to post a comment yesterday but blogger ate it.

    I completely know that feeling of anxiety the entire time I'm away. I would have felt it too. That being said, we all survived and we'll try again when he isn't so tired.

    And Japanese is super cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beyond recognizing the coolness of Japanese lessons, I'd like to say that I worry myself to utter distraction, too. It's exhausting, isn't it? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Japanese class...ok, I was pleased when my kid got 69% in cooking class. Maybe I need to rethink some things!
    Sorry you couldn't remember her answer though about whether or not she liked class. Sorry I laughed when I read that...those days of sleep deprivation are far enough behind me that I can now laugh at others...

    ReplyDelete