You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Monday, June 7, 2010

Truth

Life presents us with multiple truths. Mine. Yours. Theirs. Every experience we share has a different truth as we see it.

My glass is half full. Yours is half empty.

Truth is relative. To know the truth of that all you have to do is talk to a child.

When we talk, the truth she tells me is her truth. They aren't lies she speaks. They aren't meant to be. She doesn't try to trick me. She just speaks her truth. Sometimes it is the truth as she sees it. Sometimes it is the truth as she would like it to be.

I need my vitamins she says to me.

I saw your daddy give you two vitamins this morning I say back to her.

My daddy said I could have one more she promptly answers back.

You need to put your pajamas on I tell her.

I want to sleep in a dress tonight she tells me.

No, you can wear your pjs I reply.

My daddy said I could sleep in a dress tonight she counters.

Did he really say that? No. Does she wish he had? Yes. And for her, at three-almost four, that is truth enough.

6 comments:

  1. In the last couple of weeks, Reid has started telling me that "God wants me to have a story" when I tell her that we don't have time. It's even harder to argue with what a supreme being might have said, especially when the one expressing the opinions wants it to be true so fervently. Kids have so little power that they need to resort to unconventional persuasion now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in our house, margo's truth is always 'maude did it'

    farts, a mess, fighting.

    ah, sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you - at that age. I have much less of a problem with my four year old "stretching the truth" than I do with my six year old doing it. I get the sense that the older one knows when he is lying now, and I hope it is a phase and not something he has learned.

    Doesn't everybody sleep in a dress :)???

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a phase called magical thinking.........go with the thinking while persisting in your wants and needs.
    they can make up the most wonderful amazing worlds

    ReplyDelete
  5. We often ask "is that what Mama would say?" or "Would Papa agree with that?" to get at the truth as parents think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that stage well. I can't blame them - wouldn't it be marvelous to be able to re-invent the world as you would like it to be? I would eat nothing but ice cream, and still somehow manage to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete