You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, June 4, 2010

Rules

I am becoming a much stricter parent than I thought I would be. Or am I?

It seems like I have a lot of rules. I feel like I have rules for everything

no hitting
no biting
no climbing on the table
no colouring on the walls
no spitting out your food
no hitting
no biting
no climbing on the table
no colouring on the walls
no spitting out your food


Yes, I feel like I have rules for everything. And just went I finish saying a rule I have to say it all over again. Because the kids act like they didn't hear me the first time. Or the second. But I know they are listening.

The other day at the park I felt like a broken record.

Put your shoes on!
Don't go behind the field house by yourself!
You have to keep your clothes on!

Over and over I repeat myself.

Maybe my kids are of the opinion that my rules suck. That I have made up these arbitrary rules to make their lives more more difficult. I haven't.

You have to wear your shoes because there could be broken glass or other sharp things in the sand or the pool.
You can't go behind the field house by yourself because then I can't see you. If I can't see you, you can't see me. And I need to see you to make sure you are safe.
You have to keep your clothes on because we are outside and when we are outside we wear clothes. You can take your clothes off when we are at home.


Most of my rules relate to safety. Some relate to manners. Some are born out of a fear of the unknown and distrust of strangers wandering through the park.

So I have rules. Lots of rules. Rules that I repeat and repeat. Rules that make me sound like a cranky mother. Which I sometimes am.

But I also have good rules. Rules that they listen to.

You have to hug me!
I need six kisses a day!
It's time for a cuddle!

2 comments:

  1. How ever do you get by with only 6 kisses ;) I hear you on the broken record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter tells me a lot how mean I am. But then she also tells me that I'm her best mom, so I think it's all good. I'd rather be the 'mean mom' with lots of rules than fail to keep my kids safe.

    ReplyDelete