You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kissing

I watched them out of the corner of my eye from across the park. The two of them had climbed up a rope structure, one on either side of the rope. They leaned in close to each other until their bodies pressed together. They kissed.

They looked so young. They made me feel old.

Not that I think of myself as old, but I know that to them I am. I am a tired looking lady slumped on park bench with her hat pulled down low. I am one of them. An adult. A mother.

I know that I was once that old but sometimes it is hard to remember. Back when my worries seemed so important, so big. When I was still trying to decide who I was and who I wanted to be. When the only one I was responsible for was myself.

Watching them I found myself wishing I had spent more time kissing boys in parks instead of studying when I was younger. Then I thought oh god, someday some mother may be watching one of my kids kissing in a park. When really, they should be studying.

7 comments:

  1. What a great post! I love the irony. And I dread that time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my share of kissing in parks. Maybe more than my share (sshh, don't tell my mom). No regrets about the lost studying time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how true! I definitely did more kissing in parks than studying, but it was fun! (Now I have a 12-year-old son who is starting to have girlfriends and meeting friends at the movie theatre... it scares the crap out of me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kissed my husband for the first time in a inner tube in a park. I was 15, he was 18. Life was great.

    And honestly, I've been married now for 10 years, have two kids, have spent over a decade building my career. I still don't know who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. The halcyon days of youth are always fun to remember. But do you remember the angst? Less of that now, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how viewing people as you, or viewing them as your children, changes your perspective. I feel very torn about that, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet and lovely. Those young kisses of youth that we will never get back. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete