You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Change room

Surveying the wall of bathing suits, the girl picked out her favorite. It was a navy blue two piece, which I don't usually like on little kids, but the top was long and so I agreed. I picked out a navy blue one piece with polka dots for her and added it to the pile. Holding the suits in her arms she announced I have to go try these on.

So she did.

It was the first time that we had been in a changing room together for her. I prefer to shop for the kids' clothes alone. When we are together I usually just estimate the size, buy it and she tries it on at home. Walking to the change room with her I felt a foreshadowing of things to come.

I laughed as I watched her dance around in the changing room, pleased as can be with the new suit she was wearing. She would look at me and then look in the mirror as if checking to see that I saw she looked a good as she thought she did. Look at me. Look in the mirror. Back and forth until she decided to add some jumps that ended with a flourish on the cold cement ground.

A pair of sparkly pink heart shaped sunglasses were perched on her nose. She commented about how dark they made everything but she didn't take them off. She was just as pleased with them as she was with the two new bathing suits.

I had to convince her that the suits needed to come off so we could pay for them. I managed this with a promise that she could put one on as soon as she got home. And she did. Along with a pair of sparkly pink heart shaped sun glasses.

5 comments:

  1. I had my first change room visit with my own daughter recently. Oh, the bitter-sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could feel that way about trying on bathing suits . . . sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that I've never had my daughter try anything on in a store...and she's nearly 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be against the 2-pieces for little girls too, but I've found that they can be used a lot longer as they're not dependent on the torso length for fit.

    I like tankinis as a compromise these days, but we just bought our daughter swim trunks when she was a toddler, and now have her swim in just the bikini bottoms for private/family pools, and only use the bikini/tankini tops for when we're at a public pool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you can get her to try them on. My four-year old? NEVER! Boring old clothes mommy!

    ReplyDelete