You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beginnings and endings and birthdays

We stopped for coffee first. I drank my latte sitting at a table by the window. She ate a grilled cheese sandwich sitting beside me. I took some time to wonder how we had gotten here.

The lemonade party was held in the school playground. I looked on one table for her name tag and information packet. She yelled to me that she found them on another table. We met some of the kids that will be in her class. We met the woman that will be her kindergarten teacher next year. She seemed nice. I hope she will be nice to the girl.

*

The preschool picnic was in a park by the river. The weather was beautiful and the turnout good. I helped to set up while the husband watched the kids explore the new for them play structures.

We bought four dinners. The girl spurned the veggie dog in favour of a bag of chips and a juice box that she consumed quickly. I let her. Nights like that don't happen often.

One more week of preschool and then she is done. Moving on. I think I will be sadder then she will be. She is excited about starting kindergarten and doesn't realize what is ending. Everyday now when I drop her off and pick her up I think about how grateful I am to all of them. Grateful for welcoming her so warming, giving her such joy and for helping out a tired mom.

*

The birthday crown is yellow, just like it was last year. This time a number 4 is written clearly at the front. The girl has decorated her crown with stickers and markers and she wears it proudly.

We spent yesterday afternoon making two dozen cupcakes. Vanilla with vanilla icing. I didn't even try to make them healthy. But I did bring two big bunches of organic bananas to accompany the cupcakes at snack time.

The boy and I stayed all morning. He loved it. I think he wouldn't have cared if I had gone home and left him there. Next year my boy. When you are two and a half.

The girl played with all her friends. I watched her and wondered some more.

5 comments:

  1. You've captured the essence of the changes. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad too that preschool is ending. And you're right, it has been a great thing for tired moms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brie, I was in tears when Henry first steps off the bus his first day of Kindergarten, but I was the same when he graduated from Kindergarten.

    I'm not sure if it will ever get easier.

    Beautiful post~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so much bittersweetness in this post. So much.

    And my toddler is the same at preschool. He LOVES it. This makes me really rather happy. I hope he loves it as much when he's finally old enough to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is me next year. i don't know how i'm going to handle it.

    ReplyDelete