You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Away

He let out a cry as we walked out the door. Still we kept going. Down the stairs, down the street and downtown. We thought about them. We talked about them. We didn't call.

When the cell phone rang early Sunday morning we both gave a start. I ran to my purse and began searching through it frantically. I dumped the contents out on the hotel room bed to find it faster. I grabbed it and flipped in open at the same time as I squeaked out a hello. I held my breath until I heard everything is fine. I gave my brother-in-law the combo for the stroller lock and sighed a sigh of relief.

For close to twenty-four hours it was like it was just us again. Him and me. I wouldn't wish us back to those days for anything. The days before diapers, sleepless nights and discipline; raspberries on my stomach, whispered mommies and arms clasped tight around my neck. But after almost fours years of it always being the three of us, the four of us twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, it was nice to be reminded of when there was just us two. If only for one night.

A very big thank you to a wonderful, patient and tired aunt and uncle. Feel free to come back anytime.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to get away. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to get away. It's hard, especially the first time. I'm looking forward to getting away somewhere with Eric. Maybe for our anniversary in September... or on that poker cruise he keeps talking about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over-nights away from the kids is soooooooo important. I remember when my parents first offered to watch Hollis overnight. It changed my life :)

    ReplyDelete