You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Monday, May 10, 2010

Montreal

Two train rides. There and back. A bag full of cars for him and a pile of books for her. And many, many snacks.

Walking down Sherbrook, the husband calling across the street to my sister. The boy calling too. Hugs and kisses and no shyness at all.

Standing on the street corner drinking a latte and eating natas from the bakery box. Playing in the neighbourhood park and eating too much take-out for dinner.

Kids sleeping in the stroller on the walk back to the hotel after a long day, despite my power walking and attempts to keep them awake.

A ride underground on the metro. Fast, fast through the dark tunnels. Watching the other passengers and swaying with the train.

Walking through the rain with my sister. Stopping for lunch and popping in and out of stores.

A few hours to ourselves. Not worrying about the kids. Relishing the time together.

Kids not sleeping in the hotel beds even though it is past their bedtimes. Lying under the covers snuggling while watching Alvin and the Chipmunks and eating popcorn.

Lots of coffee. Not a lot of sleep.

A hotel room that we trashed as if we were rock stars. Crayons on the sheets, goldfish ground into the carpet, dirty diapers in the garbage cans. Five dollars on the counter with a note of apology to the cleaner.

Returning home.

8 comments:

  1. I love Montreal and I really love travelling by train. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you left the maid $5, instead of trying to clean up yourself. I might do that next time I'm in a hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you guys had a nice weekend - it's such a great city to visit for a weekend getaway, and so much to do with kids! Although definitely tiring, I hear you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post, Capital Mom. I'm grinning hugely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Montreal. I too have family there to visit, and it's all about the food when we get together. It's not unusual for us to grab some of those Portugese egg tarts on St. Laurent also! There's a great bakery around the corner from Schwartz's - another favourite stop.

    ReplyDelete