You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Daffodils and dandelions

We walk past everyday. Two small fields of flowers growing on the hills on either side of the highway that cuts through the city. On the north side the flowers are usually closed, seemingly resting in the shadow of the highway. On the south side the daffodil blooms are open and reaching toward the morning sun.

We stopped at the south side one morning after dropping the girl at school. Would you like to see the flowers? I asked the boy. Ye-ah he said.

I pushed the stroller off the sidewalk and onto the grass. I unclipped him from the stroller and we started walking towards the flowers. The boy got to the first cluster of green, flowers that were too new to have opened yet, and stopped. Excited, he sat down and pointed to a small yellow flower right in front of him, hiding almost, in the grass. A dandelion.

Do you want to see the daffodils? I asked, sweeping my arm toward the dozens of flowers stretching up the hill. Ye-ah he said. He stood up and walked along the edge of the field of daffodils until he came to another dandelion. Da! he exclaimed, happy to have found it.

I followed him as he continued to walk just beyond the field of flowers until we came to the sidewalk. There, nestled against the cement wall of the highway, we found a cluster of dandelions. The boy stopped and marveled at them all. I picked one for him and he clutched it in his hand as we walked away.

7 comments:

  1. I love dandelions! I think they're beautiful and a bonus is that no one minds when our kids pick them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have dandelions on the lawn yet. My son loves them! Last year he was crawling, and ripped them out with giggles. This year, likely he will do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is a huge dandelion fan, too. I kind of love that he finds these simple weeds to charming. They're one thing that I know I can consistently grow for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So precious! My little boy also loves his dandelions. He picks them and presents them to me like they're the most exquisite flower in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the jellybean exclaims every after noon when we go to our backyard "looks at ALL the dandy flowers! they are beautiful!" and proceeds to pick on for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how spring is so exciting for them, how they appreciate all of the simple beauty that we take for granted. It's refereshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete