You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wonderwall

I was nineteen. He was twenty-three. It played all the time on the radio in London.

I was in love.

I pushed the shopping cart. The boy sat in the front seat. The girl sat in the back among the eggs, milk and bread. It played over the speakers.

The song made me smile. I started to sing. The boy shook his head at me, telling me to stop. The girl started to sing a song about wormans that turned into a song about her brother pooing on the potty. The boy started to sing his favorite song. I kept singing. The boy kept shaking his head at me. I turned the cart down aisle five in search of baked beans for the husband.

I don't believe that anybody
Feels the way I do
About you now

And all the roads that lead to you were winding
And all the lights that light the way are blinding
There are many things that I would like to say to you
I don't know how


I'm still in love. Times three.

11 comments:

  1. I love that song, I went to see them when they were in town last year.

    I have songs that make me feel like that too. And for the record when M was little he hated it when I sang. Now he is okay with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl with the fabulous posts!! Love this

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids always tell me to stop singing, too. Spoilsports.

    And this is a thoroughly lovely post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of those songs that totally transports me to lala land. If I am driving, I miss my turn. If I am walking I stop on the spot until it finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love how songs just take you to very specific moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those songs that transport you to other places and times.

    What is it about kids not wanting their moms to sing, though? Yeesh. (My son sings about Wormans regularly, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that song too. I love songs that bring back memories... good or bad. I sing all the time - my kids don't usually complain. But it seems like when that *one song* comes on the radio that I haven't heard for a long time and just want to enjoy, my daughter says from the backseat of the car, "change the channel, mommy. I don't like that song!" :-)

    Thanks for reminding me about this song... I'm going to go play it now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I was just thinking about the music I listen to as I walk to the bus each day aren't current or hip, but tend to be from moments. Kind of like a soundtrack to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your posts! That song brings back memories for me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that feeling exactly.

    Reminds me of a moment sunday night in which three friends and I silently watched the televised homage to John Hughes (on the Oscars), transfixed by the images of the movies that defined our youth. I would never have thought it would have that kind of an impact on me to see those movies flash by again.

    ReplyDelete