You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Value

I have been reflecting on the value other people seem to place on blogging, particularly women bloggers. After reading that bloggers are mostly men (well, the interesting ones anyway) and that women that blog are either building their brand or complaining about their kids I have been questioning the value that others might place not only on my blog, but on me.

I write about my life. Right now my life just happens to involve being the primary caregiver for two kids under four. So that is what I write about.

I could write about other things: books I read, my opinions on politics or my distrust of drivers in this city. I could tell you the letters I have behind my name. I could talk as an expert about the paid work I used to do and will soon do again.

But I don't want to.

All of those things are valuable. All of those topics would make for interesting blog posts and could spawn interesting comments threads. There is someone out there blogging about all of those things already. I choose not to add my voice to theirs.

Instead I use this space to explore my own experiences as a mother and the journey I am on with my family. To me that is just as valuable as discussing current events.

Obviously not everyone feels the same. That makes me question not only the value they might place on my blog, but the value they place on parenting and children. Is anything I have done in my life as valuable as raising these kids to be decent and kind and loving? Is there anything as valuable our society can do than raise our kids? I really don't think so.

Politics, the economy, current events and all those other issues clamoring for the front page of the newspaper are important. I just don't value them as much as I do parenting. So that is what I write about.

13 comments:

  1. Well said. I sometimes think, "I should blog about ..." but then I remind myself I need to guard my energies for what is important right now and the other things don't make the cut. I'm glad others want to and are able to do so but for me, for now, parenting is what I want to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important thing is to write about what you want to. It is your space and your space alone to express yourself.

    Everyone blogs for different reasons, some start for one reason and it morphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found when I had younger kids they were all encompassing and filled my world. As they get into the teen years I find more time for me and varied interests.
    You are right the raising children is an important job. Blogging is a great way for parents to vent and find support. We don't parent as we used to in family groups where we always had the support of others. Now we are expected to do it all on our own and that's lonely work. Blogging helps fill that hole a bit and is a great way to connect with other parents experiencing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the kind of post that makes me smile but also let you know that you are valued by everyone who reads this - you have a unique voice- a beautiful voice and the internet would be less without it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you completely. I blog just to share and value the wisdom, humor and feelings I find shared in other womens blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a sad fact of society I think......I've been reading a lot of women bloggers recently questioning this. :0(
    Pretty sure it would have been a man that wrote that and I'm sure they underestimate the power of women! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you expressed this. Besides, in the end isn't a blog supposed to be what the individual wants? I can't understand how a person could find real value in writing for any other reason. Some want to write about politics, books etc, and that's okay for them. We write about our lived experiences and that's good for us. That's the point I think. To expect any different is misunderstaning the platform. At least, that's my opinion.

    Plus you do such a great job of writing your motherhood experiences. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been reading all those articles too. I don't think you can confine blogging in any way ... it's just too vast. An ocean of words out there.

    Yours is one of my favourite blogs. You are an amazing writer. I'm sure you could write about daily news and current events, effortlessly. But the way you capture a moment in your day ... a day spent nurturing and loving and mothering .... mate, it's just divine.

    Really looking forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found that article very interesting too and rather annoying - as though male blogs were worthy of reading and blogs by women were mere hobbies or something. I agree with you though - I often think of many things I could write about these days but being a mom is my first job at the moment and that is what I am trying to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good blogs are ones that are written with passion. A person's passion is relative and is constantly changing. Three years ago my blog subscriptions consisted of technology & travel, now I include more family influenced bloggers in my daily must reads because my passions have changed or I should say expanded!

    I enjoy your posts very much. Thanks so much for sharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know there are some Mommy Bloggers out there who are able to make a career - a paid career - out of blogging. I consider them to be journalists, in that they are writing periodicals in exchange for currency. Good for them.
    Personally, that is not what I aspire to. I write my blog as a way to keep in touch with friends and family, and as a way to record the events in my life that I might not remember accurately in a few weeks, months, years...
    I don't get where this idea came from that every blogger is welcoming critics to come and review their blog and ascribe a value to it. I'm pretty sure most of my bloggy friends blog for personal reasons, and choose to share their personal stories with others as a way of creating connections, not as a means of creating a brand for themselves or generating an income.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MEN blog? REALLY?

    I didn't think men blogged much. With the odd rare exception, all my regular reads are women, and I've read most of them for YEARS.

    ReplyDelete