You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, March 12, 2010

Uniform

The morning sunlight filters through the window. I listen to the sounds of the husband corralling the kids into their coats and boots downstairs. I enjoy my moment alone.

I pick up my black yoga pants from their spot on the floor near the bed. I ignore the yogurt and porridge stains from the day before. I put them on, along with a pair of clean underwear. I pick up yesterday's t-shirt and throw it in the overflowing laundry basket. I grab a clean t-shirt from the drawer. I pull on the pink hooded sweatshirt I have worn everyday this week. I rifle through the black socks lying on the floor until I find two of mine without stickers stuck to them. I don't bother checking to see if they match.

I glance in the mirror. I contemplate brushing the hair I washed yesterday. Instead I pull it back into a ponytail and pin my bangs back with a bobby pin.

The husband has started herding the kids out the door and into the stroller parked on the porch. That's okay. I'm ready.

13 comments:

  1. I know everybody always says it, but you really are a poet.
    I love your blog for turning the good, the bad and the ugly everyday stuff into a thing of beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wearing black yoga pants as I write (black being an unfortunate colour to wear when your children are all coldy and snotty) but I am feeling a little bit prettier now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aie, but why are you skipping the socks with stickers on them?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am often the same way although today I had to step it up a bit b/c I was going to the boy's school and out for a hair appt this a.m.

    So I actually put on jeans :)

    I agree with Erin, I love reading your posts b/c they seem so beautiful, so fresh, so real, and so well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My uniform is very similar, only I wear jeans instead of yoga pants. In fact, now I'm thinking maybe I need some yoga pants, because that sounds comfier. I am pretty much ALL about the comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever works.

    On my "mommy" days (ie no day I go somewhere that I am paid to be like work) jeans and a t-shirt, mascara (everyday) and maybe some powder and shea butter on my lips.

    On my "work" days, jeans and a dressier shirt (some of those shirts are t-shirt material, but not cut like t-shirts), mascara, powder, shea butter and a bit of coloured gloss. Slightly better shoes than my mommy days.

    I just love jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You stole my uniform! And ponytail! But I still have my stains. It's the insignia of motherhood. Wouldn't we recognize each other anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so funny, I've been referring to the pair of Reitmans comfort fit jeans that I wear day in and day out as my 'uniform'. They've been washed so many times that they look as faded as a pair of 5 year old jeans even though I only got them in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you described my morning ritual! Love your blog, you have a way with words that makes it all seem so effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words make the uniform seem much more glamorous than it was I am sure, we all have our uniforms, so glad you were able to get out for that walk together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same way, although these days I have to watch for spit up stains. I have to admit that I have felt a bit frumpy lately. I am still used to getting dressed for work every day. And not having to get dressed at all is still a novelty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. my uniform kicks in the instant i walk in the door from work. i don't want to get my work clothes dirty, so on goes the pj bottoms (unless i know i am leaving the house again). sometimes they are on before 4pm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh hilarious! I love how make it sound - and my uniform tends to be very similar!

    ReplyDelete