You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Toes

Over the monitor I hear the rustling sounds that let me know he is awake. I hold my breath, waiting to see if he will put himself back to sleep. When I hear him start to yell I pull myself up off the couch and head upstairs, leaving the girl to finish watching a video on her own.

Just as I reach the top step and am about to open the baby gate, I catch a glimpse into his room through the space between the bottom on his door and the floor. Peaking back at me are ten little toes. He had pulled his socks off before his nap and now stands barefooted on the other side of the door. The sound of a rattling door knob is accompanied by yells for me to come and get him already.

I laugh and hurry to his room, amazed and also trepidatious about the fact that he has figured out how to crawl out of his toddler bed and around the bed rail in only three weeks. His sister slept in that bed for almost two years, mostly without a bed rail, and only in the last few weeks sleeping in the bed did she discover that she could get out of it on her own. She preferred to stay in bed and holler for us until one of us came to her.

I don't think I am going to teach him how to turn a doorknob. Hollering really isn't that bad.

5 comments:

  1. My daughter was the same as yours. She was a stay-put-and-holler kind of a kid. Really, it has its perks, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest was also a stay in bed gal. We always said she thought her bed was an island and that she could not swim to shore on her own. Those days are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DS used to sit and holler but then he figured out to open door knobs...and now we hear the pitter patter of feet and "daaaaaady"..."moooooom". So cute! Unless it's at 430 am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes definitely hold off on the doorknob or you'll have a late night guest in your bed like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really nice:>
    What is even nicer is that is clearly shows the difference between your two children. In general, with the same care love and papering we give our children, they will still grow to be different in many ways. isn't it amazing?!

    ReplyDelete