You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Monday, March 8, 2010

Private bathroom

We have one bathroom in our house. When we bought the house I didn't care. I grew up with one bathroom and while I figure our future children would likely have the typical teenage fights about whose turn it was in the bathroom, I felt no sympathy for them. They would figure it out.

Now I have much sympathy for me.

Our one bathroom is on the second floor. It is up a steepish set of stairs that are too high and too numerous for a toddler to manage on his or her own. It is also too high and too numerous for a tired mother to run up when her potty training child needs to, well, use the potty.

The solution to this potty problem has been to scatter four white potties all over the first floor. This was critical when the girl was was first transitioning out of her diapers. And then they stayed. Mostly because it was easy. It was easier to have four white potties all over the first floor than to get her to go upstairs by herself or to go with her and drag the boy (then a baby) with me.

The girl loves it. She loves that she doesn't have to stop whatever it is she is doing for too long and traipse upstairs. In fact, I would say that she prefers it to using the toilet. She particularly likes her private bathroom.

I can't remember how the private bathroom started. I think it was the husband's attempt to give her some privacy in a private moment. It has stuck. Now she calls out for her private bathroom and waits patiently on her potty until one of us gets out the pink Disney princess tent a friends of my mother-in-law bought the girl after the boy was born. The tent is slowly lowed over her and it is as if a coronation has taken place. The queen is on her throne.

I have grown tired of the four white potties. I would like to retire them permanently but I'm not sure I have the strength for the fights that will ensue. I also don't know how practical that would be since I plan to start potty training the boy soon.

What I would really like is a proper, hooked up to the pluming porcelain toilet on the first floor. That would make me feel like a Queen. I am sure that by the time we can afford to squeeze one into our small first floor it will be no longer needed. By then the kids will be walking up and down the stairs like champs and I will instead be longing to finishing the basement so that I can hide down there. Or hide them down there. One or the other.

14 comments:

  1. i dream of having a second bathroom as well. ours is on the main floor, which is great, exept when you have to pee in the middle of the night, which i always have to do. we have a potty upstairs for the jellybean. i imagine it will be there for quite a while longer as the battle continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny. When we were shopping for the new house a 2nd bathroom was a must mainly because we believe that a 2nd bathroom is a good investment in a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived through this EXACTLY. My daughter was 3.5 before she could safely and quickly negotiate the stairs on her own. I too lived with a potty full of pee in my living room. I would just let the potties remain, since you are about to start over again. Warn house guests when necessary and just do the easy thing. Executing a well timed pee or poo is hard enough without a flight of stairs to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We only have one as well, and yes, 2 yo is being potty trained on horrible plastic Dora thing in the living room. Freedom is when your kids are big enough to go up and down the stairs safely on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your reasoning for having a potty on the main floor... but 4?! LOL! Maybe you could start by cutting it down to one? An idea (if you have the space) would be to keep a semi-permanent "private bathroom"... Leave the tent up with the potty in it. Then the kids will know where they should go and they won't expect to have a 'toilet' in every room of the house. It will stil give them a special (and private) place to do their business and they still don't have to take the stairs.
    Obviously you should do whatever works best for your family, but this is just a suggestion for a possible compromise. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ShannonL Our house may not be big but in a critical moment it seems big enough, thus potties in the sunroom, the living room and the hall way. And one that roams. Sometimes one or two of them make their way upstairs. Sometimes they are all piled up and sitting in the entrance hall. Hmm. We could try one though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might help! So if you have 4 now and your dream of having a real bathroom downstairs suddenly came true, does that mean you'd only get rid of one potty and still have 3 others lingering around? Too funny! Make the move - cut it to one on each floor! :-) I personally would not enjoy having to empty and clean that many every day. Ick. I'd prefer to keep it down to one dirty job instead of 4.
    I really love reading your blog, btw. I've been reading regularly for about a month now. Thanks, and keep up the honest, thoughtful and entertaining posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dream is a second bathroom too. It's no fun when everyone is sick and needs to use the toilet all at the same time. Plus when the kids have friends over to play, lets just say I have to disenfect before I can use my own bathroom! Little boys pee all over and don't wash their hands and little girls sometimes pee on the toilet seat. So I keep a box of clorox wipes in the bathroom for the times I need to use our one bathroom.

    I dream of the day I'll have a clean bathroom and won't have to share it with a bunch of kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I am having flashbacks to Boychild on his potty, behind the sofa, grunting away. The worst was when he'd use it and I was just out of eye and earshot of him, and he wouldn't tell me, until I could smell it later (gross!). Our house also only had one bathroom, on the second floor. Eventually, we finished our basement and added a bathroom down there, but I would still kill for a main floor powder room...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We ditched our potties over a year ago, so thankfully when we recently brought them back out my 5-year-old didn't start using them. I feel your pain on that one - cleaning out potties is NO FUN. I hope that you find an answer soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is my life too! My husband and I no longer even know the concept of going to the bathroom without the door flapping back and forth and little folks coming and going while you're doing your business. I wish I had a private tent that I could put over top of me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't realize what a pain not having a bathroom on the main floor would be in our last house either. The potty that sat in our living room had a lid, which in a way was good, and in a way was bad (if you forgot it was full ;)
    Eventually once K could get himself up on the basement toilet by himself we insisted he go down there, but I tend to agree that if you're about to start potty training again it might not be worth the fight if the potties will be back again really soon. The permanent potty tent isn't a bad idea... she's old enough to make it there and you can start the habit of privacy and a separate room. What about in the corner of the dining room or something our of the way like that?

    (I would have had at LEAST 3 potties in your house too. We had 2 and it never seemed enough. And we had two bathrooms!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel for you. I don't think I can survive without at least two bathrooms. And I credit the fact that Hubby and I each had our own bathroom for the first six years of our marriage for keeping us sane. No girlie stuff for him, so guy stuff for me. If you can swing it put one in either on the main floor or the basement, it will get used eventually. And the potties, I would start by putting them away one by one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have anything particularly constructive to say. The description of the Private Bathroom had me in stitches.

    ReplyDelete