You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Me and mine

Did you see us this morning as you walked by Starbucks on your way to work? Yes, that was us.

We had stopped in for a coffee. I went to get in line but she started demanding to get out of the stroller. After extracting a promise from her not to touch anything I freed her from the restraints. She promptly went and claimed a table by the window. I guess we were staying.

I huddled in the wooden chair at the round table by the window. My wet hair pulled back into a pony tail, the bangs pinned to one side. Wearing my uniform under my coat. The bags under my eyes and my pasty skin conveying that it had been another rough night. I watched my kids devour a multi grain bagel with cream cheese (him) and a requested pumpkin scone (her). I greedily drank my coffee.

She shrieked long and loud when I shared some of her scone with her brother. I threatened to leave. She apologized and went back to her scone.

He finished and climbed out of his chair. He wandered around looking at things. Pointing at things. Nothing got broken or spilled. I felt grateful.

I loaded them back into the stroller with promises of a trip past the dog park. Still clutching my coffee we left.

9 comments:

  1. My daughter loves nothing more than to "stay" when we go to the coffee shop. There is nothing else to do but talk to each other and that makes her feel very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those coffee shops with built in play areas, right in your neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading that, I totally feel like I saw you.

    When I let Rocco out of the stroller .... I instantly go to panic mode damage-control. So nice when he surprises me by behaving :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember way back when, when my oldest was just a babe, and he would quietly sit in his stroller, while I enjoyed my starbucks and perused every magazine I could get my hands on. Now I occupy them for five minutes with a treat, before the 6yo is bored and the 3yo wants to touch everything in the entire store. Superfun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done - wow my kids never behaved like that - that is a successful trip out. My two get bored and start arguing or playing with the sugar or salt or whatever else they can find....

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are slowly getting better at this - it's much easier to do this with one child, so I do that when I have the opportunity. It would be rare to see me to do it with all three, that's kind of like asking for a root canal with no freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always grateful when nothing is broken and we leave without scorns on other people's faces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still too scared to stay someplace public with both kids. I've done the IKEA restaurant, but that's about my limit. Anything more adult strikes fear into my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Starbucks is a favourite haunt for the whole family. My oldest sits and drinks his hot chocolate, and that's it...we get maybe 5 minutes. Now I choose as often as possible to go to the one at Chapters, at least then he can find some entertainment and I can savour the bliss a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete