You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, March 26, 2010

Ma!

While it sounds like he is calling me Ma Ingalls style, he is really using his new favorite word. He mispronounces it, but the meaning is pretty clear.

Mine!

The favorite word of toddlers everywhere, it is usually accompanied by grabbing, pushing or pointing. He grabs the boot I am trying to help him put on with one hand while pushing me away with the other. He yanks the cracker from my hand and runs screaming from the room in case I try to take it back. He points at the baking on the counter while looking at me and shrieking.

Mine!

I think that he likes saying mine more then he likes whatever it is that he feels is his. He likes to stake his claim. Exert his independence. Establish his domain.

Mine!

6 comments:

  1. So true, that the point is to claim it as his own rather than the actual having of the thing. Our 2 1/2 year old is in a similar stage -- she likes feeling like something actually belongs to her. Mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K is the one doing that around here at the moment, as he is trying to make it clear to two newly moving younger siblings that he is "boss around here". Fun times ;)
    And I call my mother "Ma" most of the time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i call my mom ma too! the bean went through that stage in spades. i am glad he is over it, sort of. now he has a whole vocabulary of words to say the same thing, and can manipulate you at the same time. he is too smart for us. i just hope he doesn't realise that for a while. once he does, we're doomed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My toddler also says 'ma' a lot. Or 'ma ma'. I thought it was sweet at first, but I kind of suspect that he means 'mine', and is not calling for me. Too bad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are definitely in the "mine" stage with L right now. Her scope is expanding too - suddenly items the boys own are "hers" too apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh they love that word don't they :0)
    I have tagged you at mine if you fancy it?

    ReplyDelete