You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Letters

The handmade Valentine cards are covered with stamps and stickers and glued on hearts. With one open in front of her the girl drags the purple marker up and down across the paper. She asks me to help her with the first letter, even though she knows that one the best. She pauses at the fifth letter and we glance at the yellow construction paper letters taped to the wall spelling out her name.

Once. Twice. Three times. Four times.

Over and over she write the letters of her name while I watch in amazement. As she finishes, each card is tucked inside a legal sized envelop to be mailed to a loved one.

Six letters. A big step.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing! I know how that feels, when they do something huge like that and you just look at them and think - wow, when did you grow up? And to sign her Valentine's day cards..... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - I'm so happy she did so well :) It's really fabulous, isn't it??? I'm so proud that her name is on my valentines - you totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I cannot even fathom speech let alone writing ;) Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really exciting. Congratulations are definitely due.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these milestones. It's so, so amazing to see these little people learn and grow right in front of our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cool isn't it? Sage has been writing her name for a while and often lends a Picasso-esque flavour to it by writing the "S" sideways. We've noticed that she both reconizes and writes a few words by memory, even though she can't actually sound out a word she doesn't know yet. Still she did just turn 4 two weeks ago, so we figure she's doing well.

    And today we found out that Harris knows the letter "R" - he points to it and says it. That blew us away since he can't actually say a whole lot of words clearly yet at all, even at 20 months. I think Sage was using sentences by the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that IS a big step. And very cool :) There will be some very happy Valentine recipients out there!

    ReplyDelete