You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ballroom

She saw the balls through the window. She asked me what it was and I told her. I want to go she said. I grabbed a shopping cart and we headed inside.

We walked over and I measured her. Tall enough. Then she got scared. I don't want to go she said. We walked away.

We made it to the light fixtures before she asked to go back. I didn't want to turn around only to have her change her mind so I said after we look at mattresses.

Can we go to the balls?

After we look at the beds.

Can we go to the balls?

After we pay.

Can we go to the balls?

After we go pee.

We went back. I said hello to the attendant and the girl walked right in. She took off her coat and her boots and she didn't even say goodbye to me. She headed straight for the ball room. I saw a look of joy and awe on her face before she descended into their depths.

I waited around, expecting her to call for me or want me. I was still waiting when her grandma arrived with a boy fresh from a nap in his car seat. Where is she? grandma asked. In there I said pointing to the ballroom. Where? I don't see her?

We both looked carefully. I scanned the balls and couldn't find her anywhere. I looked at the craft area and the tv room. No girl.

Two hands peaked out. She was holding them just above the balls, the rest of her body submerged. Her face appeared. She seemed to float.

What were you doing? I asked her later. I was a snowman, she said, and I melted.

10 comments:

  1. My kid is always nervous about the ball room, but as soon as she's in there she doesn't look back. Still, I like the pagers they give me, it makes me feel somewhat reassured. Although having to drag the kid kicking and screaming out of the room at the end should be all the reassurance I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the jellybean hasn't experienced the ball room yet. i imagine he would be pretty nervous at first, but would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why wait until after she pees?? Kids pee in the ball pit all the time, haha!! A friend saw a kid pee in there once and reportedit, and was told they clean the balls after every 10th incident or something! I know it would be hard to clean them all the time...but eeeww!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I think that perhaps the girl will be a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls are too big now. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At that moment she's sounds very much like her mother, the romantic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super duper cute!
    K came in 1/2 an inch too short (he was up to the line in his boots so they said he wouldn't be w/o his boots on, which I thought was kind of unfair) so he still hasn't been in. He can't wait though - talks about it all the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I wish I could go in one of those ballpits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it! We haven't ventured into that territory yet. I'm NOT ready...but I bet my son is. He drools every time we go by said ball room. Gosh, they do have a way of just throwing themselves at life don't they.

    ReplyDelete