You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Monday, January 25, 2010

Window

They both sit on the back of the couch, their legs hanging down. My arms are wrapped around the boy's stomach to stop him from tumbling forwards or backwards or even sideways. The kids lean their elbows on the window sill. They smack at the glass.

Is that daddy? I ask pointing to an older woman walking down the street.

No! the girl yells as the boy vehemently shakes his head.

Is that daddy? the girl says about the teenager passing by our house.

No! I reply. That's not daddy!

Look, is that daddy? I think that's daddy! The boy points with me to the park across the street.

No, mama, silly. That's a tree!

There we sit, the three of us. Waiting and watching.

5 comments:

  1. The nest just isn't complete without him. "Waiting and watching" captures it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REally is the best time of the day - when daddy walks in the door. That, and bed time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You have such an ethereal way of writing. It's just beautiful, makes me have a sharp intake of breath. True.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the 'Where's Daddy?' game too. My husband loves it when he comes home to three faces pressed against the glass, beaming with excitement. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete