You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pillow

He screamed. I could hear him through the wall. Despite the husband holding him, rocking him, walking with him nothing would stop the ear shattering yells that sounded as if he was being tortured by a thousand rabid monkeys.

Teething? Maybe. Something else? Maybe that too.

I took him to bed with me. I nursed him. Two things that I haven't been doing anymore at night. But I was desperate. I was sick and I was tired. The husband was worn out and tired too.

When he was done, he didn't fall asleep. Instead, he sat up and looked at me and started screaming. Laying next to him on the bed I frantically tried to think of some way to get him to sleep.

Would you like some blanket? I asked.

Yee-ah he said and lay down so I could lay some blanket over his legs. He looked at me. He screamed some more.

Do you want some pillow too? I asked, surprised.

Yee-ah he said.

I shuffled the pillow over towards him. He sat up and then lay down with half of his body on the pillow. He closed his eyes and his breathing deepened. I lay my down on the pillow next to him.

He let out one short yell before lifting his left hand off the pillow and smacking me in the face with it. Then he pushed me off my pillow.

Shocked, I lay with my head on the mattress at the edge of the bed. I listened to his breathing slow until he fell asleep. I moved him off of the pillow and onto the mattress. I reclaimed my pillow.

Teething? Maybe. But I think the screaming maybe be something more. I think it may very well be his new favorite way of communicating. Lucky me.

6 comments:

  1. I've had a screamy toddler before, so you'd think I'd know what to expect and how to handle it. But now that my boy has been a screamy toddler in his own right, I feel like I'm right back at square one. It's always a little shocking when your baby becomes a screamy toddler, I think. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww nothing tougher than a toddler that screams to communicate. Hope you are all feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, I laughed a little! Not because of your lack of sleep or his screaming, but because my Boy is also fond of SMACKING me in the face...and I too am SHOCKED when it happens!! :D WHAT is THAT all about?? Hopefully it ends soon! He is also in a very LOUD screaming phase when he is not ready for sleep, but I have been falling asleep on the sofa waiting for him to get tired and that is not very safe, considering all of the things he could get into while I am snoozing!! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hugs* I don't think I found anything worse- no it was worse the first time they said "I hate you' But that middle of the night stuff is haunting and awful, particularly if you are ill. Feel better soon hon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that precious?
    Sorry that this is happening in your house. Hopefully it is a phase that doesn't last long and passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete