You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Moments

Parenting is about moments. I am learning that.

Moments of pure happiness have been few and far between these last few weeks with the kids sick, then the husband and then me. With 4 am risings. And sleepless nights. While it hasn't been horrific, it also hasn't been fun or very enjoyable. I have just been trying to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel that I keep telling myself has to be there.

I had two moments of happiness yesterday. I needed them. I have needed them to sustain me through the rest of yesterday and this morning. I am trying to take out those moments and look at them and remind myself there will be more to come.

The first was standing around my dining room table with some lovely women and laughing. That hasn't been happening enough lately. Mostly because I am too tired to socialize. Too tired to give energy I don't have.

The second was at dinner. The four of us sat around the table and talked. I sat next to the girl, as requested. Everything was lovely and I felt blissful.

These moments come and then they pass. Hopefully they come again.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you had a good time at your get-together. I know you are thinking about coming out to the book club meetings, so that should give you more social time - although it is only once a month.

    Family dinner is such a simple thing, but is also such a treasured time. Here's to the future, when you will (probably) be able to enjoy that time on a regular basis. For now, enjoy the moments when they come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know the feeling of how hard it is to socialize when you're tired . . . I've totally been there and am just now getting to the point where I feel almost "normal" again. The kids are a bit older now and sleeping better - MOST of the time. It really helps.

    I had a great time - good company, good food . . . and I spent some money even though I am doing the shopping embargo :) Um, I'm calling it a "necessity" though!!

    Looking forward to book club too, I think it will be a good group and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it sad how we always come last? It's so hard to find time for ourselves, let alone time (or energy) to socialize! My favourite time of the day lately is the shower because I get 5 minutes to myself when I can't hear the kids!

    I also had a great time! Thanks again for having us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today's moments to remember - laying on the couch, reading to my little girl, so tired I was fighting to stay awake with her gently patting my arm. Seeing her roll a playdough snake between her chubby toddler hands, the first time I have seen her do it by herself. Her giggles as we negotiated "goodnight booba" at bedtime tonight, probably for the last time.
    Many moments, everyday

    ReplyDelete