You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, January 1, 2010

A decade

This was my third full decade. I think it was the best so far. There were still some challenges, of course, but they weren't as hard to handle as those before. No parents divorcing, no trying to figure out who I am, no wondering what will become of my life. This past decade I lived it.

Getting older has a lot of benefits. I am more comfortable with who I am. I know what I can do. While each new stage can cause me to pause and question my ability to go forward, I now have enough successes to look back on and draw strength from.

I may not be where I thought I would be when I was sixteen, in fact I think my sixteen year old self would be horrified to find out that I am currently a stay-at-home mom of two, but I am happier than I ever thought I could be.

There were some defining moments for me this past decade. Moving to Ottawa. Starting my career. Experiencing new places I had always longed to visit. All that was good. The best part of the last decade was creating my own family.

In 2000 the husband and I got married. Now we are parents to two wonderful, loving, amazing kids who manage to drive me crazy everyday but I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW DECADE!! This next one will be the MOST challeging of our lives as we attempt to steer our children through life's obstacles without crashing and burning!!! Here is to US being the BEST mommas we can be!! Thank you for all of your words of wisdom, beauty, and above all HONESTY. You have helped me believe in myself and get over my own inadequacies as a parent, may this New Year bring you more happiness than the last!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe that a decade is over ... I am glad it was a great one for you. May this new decade bring you even more happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the past ten years were so great for you!! We also got married in 2000 - I can hardly believe it has been a decade :)

    Also am so thrilled I found your blog this year and know my 2010 will be richer as I keep reading it!!!!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New decade! I still haven't paused to reflect the past decade. I need to do that. It's a good thing to see how far you've come, even if it is not the path you initially laid out.

    all the best!

    ReplyDelete