You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Babysitter

The kids had their first babysitter tonight. Not family, not friends, but an actual paid babysitter.

In December I asked one of the girl's preschool teachers if she ever did childcare outside of the school. She is a lovely young woman. Someone who I have watched with the girl and all the other students and been impressed with her patience and care. She was someone I thought I could trust. That I would be comfortable leaving my kids with.

She said she did. That she babysat for a number of other families but that she would be happy to babysit for us if she was free. The next week I gave her a list of ten different times in January that would work for us. I told her to pick whichever worked for her.

We talked to the girl and the boy all day about the babysitter. The girl was excited. I was unsure about the boy since he has been weary of new people lately. Maybe he remembered her from the girl's school or maybe he was just happy because the girl was happy but he was sitting on the babysitter's lap when we left.

I felt a bit hysterical walking away from the house. Like I couldn't believe what was happening. That we had a whole three hours of time to spend together before we had to be back. We ended up sitting at a restaurant reading our magazines while we ate. It was wonderful to sit together. It was even better to be together and not talk. Not talk business or schedules or worries. Just to be in each other's company and read.

The house was quiet when we got home. Everyone was sitting at the kitchen table eating the homemade pizza I had left in the fridge for the babysitter to cook. The kids were happy. They had had a wonderful time.

I feel a bit giddy now. Giddy with happiness that it went so well. Giddy with joy to have gotten some much needed time away from the kids. Giddy with hope that she will babysit for us again.

18 comments:

  1. I can only share in your feeling of giddy...I have yet to experience a REAL baby sitter

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to find a babysitter. A REAL babysitter. Because an evening out like that sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you! Major milestone and not one that we've even experienced. I am very proud of you and happy to hear that you must be feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my first sitting. Her name was Julie. She was cute. (Yes, even as a kid, I thought girls were cute. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in your exact same shoes recently and was so thrilled (and scared) and I just couldn't believe it was happening!! I'm so glad it went well, and hoping it opens up more opportunities for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a teenage girl from around the corner who has been coming to help me since the babies were 2 months old - when I'm home. February 13 we're going out for the evening and she is staying home with the babies (we're starting out slow and sending the big one to my parents ;) and I am nervous and excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So GREAT!! This is on my list! I WILL find a sitter this year!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOo that is so wonderful! Nothing beats some good old fashion alone time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! Time away is important, when you are ready for it. It recharges the batteries! We did mini-dates like this when my son was very young. it kept us reasonably sane for his first year. Now, I just spent a week away from him in Cuba, and it was very, very hard, but both my husband and I needed it very badly, to reconnect, and remember each other!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we've scheduled our first real babysitter for February. The Toad is 3.5yrs, the Turtle is 3.5 months.

    This will be the big plunge...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you guys! You NEED that time alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry that last comment was me! @skwmOttawa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad it worked out! Does she babysit dogs and cats too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a fabulous built in babysitter who lives next door. The oldest of 5 kids and always super happy to be taking caring of someone other than her younger sisters. She is coming tomorrow, but sadly it is so I can work and Husband can go to a board meeting. How boring is that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! Adult time :)
    psst, I am passing on a blog awardy/taggy kind of thing to you, if you're into it... check my blog today for details!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't that the truth. I asked our daycare teacher too. But, we did have a couple of girls (sisters) come and watch the kids. They called us within 15 minutes because they couldn't figure out the TV. And, apparently the dog got out. A kid got out. You know, it's hard to come back after that experience. Good for you. Luck you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh that sounds wonderful!! we so have to find a babysitter. we have been lucky enough to have friends watch the jellybean but we find ourselves struggling for the end of the month for an event that i bought tickets for for xmas and now none of our friends are free. i might have a lead on a source. i have to remember to call!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad that things worked out. Hopefully, you will get to take advantage of her services again.

    ReplyDelete