You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Green

Cookies she yelled as she ran down the school hallway to the office. She shook the three bags at her teacher before handing one of them over. The other two bags with red and green cookies she took inside her classroom and handed to her other teachers. Are those jalapeno cookies? one of her classmates asked.

*

The kids huddled around the teachers, waiting anxiously. Up near the front, she snagged one of the plastic water bottles filled with watered down paint. She squirted the green paint through a hole in the top of the bottle's cap. Around in circles and across the school yard she decorated the snow.

*

He's got it she yelled at me. Don't let him eat it! He's not going to eat it I replied. Don't eat yours either I said. You can look at it but don't eat it until later. I'm not!! she called back from her hiding place underneath the blanket. I could hear the rustling sounds as she tried to remove the plastic from her very first red and green candy cane. She had found it in the grocery bag before I had a chance to hide the box and now she was hoping that if she couldn't see me from her spot on the couch then I couldn't see her either. You can eat it later I told her. He's trying to eat it she yelled in an attempt to redirect my attention away from her. I'm not eating it! she maintained as the rustling continued from her cave under the blanket.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful time of year for children, and I find having them around makes me appreciate it all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sneaky! Is she like Sage in that, when she says she's not doing something, she sounds vaguely annoyed and teenager-like?

    ReplyDelete