You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Monday, November 30, 2009

One nap

On Sunday we managed to get the boy to only have one nap. After waking up at 3am, he had one nap from 10 am to 11:30 am. In order to stop him from napping in the afternoon and us from wanting him to nap we were up, up, up and out the door after a quick lunch. We spent a few hours at the museum and then the husband took the kids to the park while I lay on the couch in a comatose state. By early evening the boy was done. We tried to hold him off for as long as we could, but in the end he was asleep by quarter to seven.

After a day like that you would think he would be tired. Not my kid. He was still awake for a couple hours last night. He had a midnight snack and then I managed to get him back to sleep. He woke at 5am.

I am committed to this one nap thing, I really am. But. But I am still trying to work it around the rest of our lives.

Like this morning. He fell asleep as soon as we dropped the girl off at school. I could have headed right home and woken him up but I had planned to go for a run. And I am not willing to give up my thrice a week run, even if it means that he naps in the stroller. Which he did this morning. So I let him sleep. The only good thing about this situation is that it did help with my motivation and I managed to finish the run in good time.

I woke him up as soon as I got home at 9am. He was not very happy about that. He managed to not fall asleep when we picked the girl up from school. That was a small comfort because neither of my kids transfer very well from where ever they have fallen asleep to my bed.

He is having his afternoon nap now. I am going to let him sleep and then we are going to keep him awake for as long as we can tonight.

Thanks for all your advice/ sympathy. There were some good ideas. Having someone stay with him while I pick up/ drop off isn't really an option, but it sure sounded great to me. I may try putting a basket with some toys in his crib and see if he will play with them in the early morning.

I think this is just going to be a hard transition. I don't really have the luxury of tailoring our schedule around him like I probably would have done if he was the only kid. And I don't want to give up things that are good for her (school, which she is so loving) and me (running).

The moral of the story is we will make this work. Somehow. Eventually. The other moral of the story is that you may also want to skip my posts for the next few weeks if you don't want to read me complain about sleep anymore.

If you are a masochist, check back later.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I feel for you! When Kai moved to one nap it was awful at first, and I cried because my 'time off' was halved!

    But it does settle, he now sleeps longer over lunch and is ready to drop by bedtime so goes to sleep more easily. He still wakes up at night... but not so much!

    Hang in there!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Hugs* and *empathy* and *hopes for the best* and *good luck* and I love your blog so no way I'm going anywhere :) complain away - makes me feel less alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally went thru this with my second two (first kid is so lucky when it comes to naps!) and I remember it being tough, but a short adjustment period. It will never work out the way you want every day, but over time it will get better. Just keep doing what you're doing, and read his cues. If he's exhausted and wants to sleep in the stroller when you run, sometimes you just have to go with that. I remember reading the "Happy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" (something like that) book and it said how sleep begets more sleep, and how putting the child down for bed earlier than you would think was ok actually made them sleep more. This totally happened with babe #3!!! I was thinking I had to put her down later so she might "sleep thru the night" but when I started putting her down an hour earlier, she started sleeping better, and longer. And I started to not nurse her to sleep anymore at around 12 months - I would nurse her, but make sure she was awake and lay her down sort of groggy but not asleep. It seemed to work over time . . .

    Hang in there. It's tough. My third kid had horrible naps last winter b/c every single day I had to wake her and her brother to walk down to the bus stop to pick up my oldest son from J/K. Nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Not sure of the back story, his age etc. but I'd lean towards when he wakes up that early (3/4am) to just tell him no, it's time to get up yet. Let him play in his room but don't have much available for him to entertain himself. He'll get bored and go back to sleep. Our guy is 20 months and we do that. He doesn't wake up often at all anymore.

    Good luck with finding a solution!
    Shannon
    aka @canucklehead_

    ReplyDelete
  5. I complain about lack of sleep all the time! Sleep is a beautiful thing :)
    31everything.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I was thinking of you today when we were up early, and when the toddler decided he was ready for nap #1 at 9:30am this morning as the day started early.

    ReplyDelete