You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Cup

I used to be a glass half empty kind of girl.
I have worked hard to see it as half full.
Today it feels like someone drank all the milk.
I blame the kids.

It isn't just them, of course.
It is me too, but
The reluctance to nap when she is obviously tired,
The incessant, uncontrollable crying for twenty minutes
Where nothing I do comforts him,
The scene in Bridgehead because I won't let her out 0f the stroller
And the high pitched screaming that accompanies our immediate departure,
The lengthy talk out on the sidewalk about appropriate behaviour
And the importance of listening.
All that, plus the feeling that somehow I am doing everything wrong.

Those moments have drained my cup.

I am trying to refill it.
Back at home, help on hand,
I can pause and pour better moments into my cup.
The loving cuddles with the boy these last few days.
The joy they obviously take in playing with each other.
Her attempts to learn from those teaching moments we have together.

My cup was empty today.
Tomorrow it may overflow.
Filling it up, emptying it out.
These are my days.

7 comments:

  1. We all have days like this...

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do all have days like that. On Tuesday my cup felt so empty and thrown on the floor!

    Hope you have a better weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your talent at putting into words how I feel! Hope your cup overflows tomorrow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully written post! Empty and full, these are the days we all have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And what a blessing to have such roller coaster days....knowing that no matter how empty your cup feels...it will fill up again!! You sound like an optimist to me....you are doing everything RIGHT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful and touching and, and, and. Thanks for putting this out there. I definitely needed to read it today.

    ReplyDelete