You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mommy's girl

I seem to be the favorite at the moment. Without any bribing or persuasion the girl is happy to proclaim her love for me to the world. Well, mostly to her dad. "I love Mommy", she'll say, "but I don't love Daddy".

This is a first. It is the first time she has chosen to "love" one of us and not the other. The first time she is loudly making her preference know. The first time she is purposefully trying to solicit a reaction from the "unloved" parent. I am certain it will not be the last.

This morning while I was out at a kids consignment sale she repeated her devotion to me over and over to the husband. While I am certain that she did miss me (she also asked where exactly I was a number of times), I am also certain she was looking to see how the husband would react to this. His non-reaction is the most likely explanation behind the frequency with which she continues to assert her undying devotion to me.

I know she loves me. I love her too, my crazy little monkey. Now if only that love could translate into a little bit of blind obedience. Even one day a week.

5 comments:

  1. My daughter says the same thing - that she loves me much more than she loves her dad. If not exactly the same, it's at least similar.

    What I'm curious about is what it will be like when my son gets old enough. Will I be the preferred parent, or will he choose his father? I've heard that there's an age when kids gravitate to the same-sex parent. I'm not sure if that's what's afoot here, or something else. I guess I'll know the answer in another 2 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it way sucks when they do not love me best! But the pendulum always swings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad being the "favoured" parent, but I'd bet I'd feel a lot worse being the "unfavoured" one.

    Both my kids are very bonded with me and I assume it has to to with the fact I spent the first year home with each of them and breastfed them both (still breastfeeding in the younger one's case).

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband stayed home with our youngest full time for 5 months (from 5 months old till 10 months old) and then part time till he was 2. Now M is all about Mommy and 'doesn't love' daddy. It breaks his heart. But my oldest (8) loves us both. So I think it just passes with time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of it is in the definition of the "love", I think. Both my boys (5 and 7) say the love me but not their Dad, yet they love spending time *doing* with him. I think they equate the "love Mommy" with the more cuddly, emotive side of love. ;)

    ReplyDelete