You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Flat tire

We were headed to the children's garden this morning for an outdoor playgroup and tomato-eating-off-the-vine session when the stroller got a flat tire. All of a sudden I noticed that the left back wheel was not rolling as smoothly as it should. The wheel (a bike wheel) was totally flat.

With the kids squeaking in the stroller, I pulled off the sidewalk to figure out what to do. We were half-way to the garden but I didn't think that the stroller wheel could handle being pushed there and home. Or that the girl would be happy to walk that far.

Luckily I had remembered to bring the cellphone with us today so I called the husband for advice. My brain was not processing what to do very well. With the boy strapped to my back (I had also thankfully remembered my carrier) and the girl walking beside me I pushed the stroller towards home while waiting for the husband to pick up his phone. In his infinite wisdom he suggested I take the stroller to the bike shop right around the corner from where I was standing.

That is why I married him. He is smart like that.

As we waited for the light to change the friends we were to meet up with at the garden came upon us. Seriously, I was having some excellent luck today. Well, except for the wheel being punctured. Still, their arrival helped keep the girl entertained while I dealt with the very helpful people from the bike shop. Out on the street the sale clerk from Cyco's changed the punctured tire while the boy watched from my back. It was the best $12 I have spent in a long time.

What I have taken from all of this is how difficult it can be for me to think about what to do in a situation when I am in the situation. All I could think about was getting the stroller home and what a struggle that would be. How we would need to buy a new tire and how expensive that would be. My tunnel vision was in full force.

Sometimes the best thing for me to do is just ask other people what to do. They may seem things more clearly then I do. Like the husband. However, while the husband had the right idea this time, I am still right 94.5% of the time.

I want to make it cleat this hasn't affected my average.

3 comments:

  1. So funny this post! I just finished commenting on your stroller fantasy post...and commented on exactly the same thing! With all of the local construction that is happening, we have visited our local bike shop 3 times this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am so the same way and I ALWAYS call my husband and thankfully he always has a better answer!

    ReplyDelete