You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The birthday season

Today is the end of the birthday season in our house. It started with the girl, continued with the boy and ends with me. Today is my birthday.

Last night at dinner I reminded the girl that it was my birthday the next day. I asked her if she remembered how old I was going to be. We had talked about it a couple of times but I didn't actually expect her to remember. "Thirty-three" she said. Yup, she remembered! We were so surprised that the husband and I both started clapping. I am sure she now thinks that thirty-three is a special number. I really hope it is.

I think this is shaping up to be the best birthday since having kids. The first birthday I celebrated by having two couples over for ordered-in Vietnamese food. The five week old girl took turns laying in my arms while we ate and sitting in her bouncy chair. The second birthday my sister and brother-un-law babysat the girl while the husband and I went to Le Nordik and then out for lunch. Spending some time together, away from home and all the chaos, was wonderful. I don't even remember my last birthday. The boy was three weeks old then. Did we have a dinner? Did I get presents? No idea.

This morning the birthday celebrations started as soon as I walked downstairs. The girl handed me a card she had made and everyone started singing happy birthday. Presents were opened immediately as we sat on the living room couch. The husband bought me two things that I think are going to help me get through the winter. A very lovely yoga bag off of Etsy (a good way of motivating me to keep going!) and travel mug from Starbucks. Coffee and yoga. Two things I can see relying on more and more.

Yes, I am sure that this is going to be the best birthday ever with kids. Or, at least a better day than yesterday. I'll settle for that.

17 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful, wonderful day! I'm so glad you have your family around you as you celebrate! There is nothing better. I turn 33 this January!

    Starbucks mugs are the best. My husband and I have several and use them every day. We've even had them come off the roof of our car as we drove away, mug on top, and they are fine.

    Did you know Bridgehead takes 27 cents off of your coffee purchase when you bring your own mug? Starbucks is 10 cents, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a special day!! Happy Birthday!!!

    P.S. My word verification was RETAIL!!! Must mean a shopping trip is in order!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I do still have some pics for you and I kind of wish I could get them to you today now that I know it's your birthday. Alas, it is not to be. Soon, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! September is such a fun month for birthdays, my kids were both born this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are divisible by 11! of course it is special!!!

    Happy Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! Enjoy the day, and hopefully you take a quick moment to yourself to savour it in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Enjoy the day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwwwwwwww Happy Birthday!!! I hope all your birthdya wishes come true this year! 33 is Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy BDay! Hope the day continues to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Capital Mom!

    I hope that it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, happy birthday! Welcome to the 33 club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to the kids...

    And an especially happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday!!! and to the munchkins too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to you! My M is born 5 days after me and this year I spent my day planning his day. :) My hubby did take me out for dinner (with kids) and I did have a cake, but the focus wasn't me. I will admit that after the fact I was a bit disappointed. Next year I will be sure to take time for myself. I know I will need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! Does this make you a Virgo or a Libra? Either way, I'm a big fan of both!

    How awesome that your hubby got a yoga mat off of Etsy! Very progressive of him! Etsy's the best.

    ReplyDelete