You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, August 7, 2009

French braid

The girl has very long hair. Long blond hair. But don't hold it against her. She still looks like a ragamuffin with her paint stained clothes, peanut butter on her face and little bits of food stuck in her hair. Because that is the problem with long hair. When it is down it is easy to get some of whatever she is eating in it. Tomato sauce, cream cheese, chili or even porridge. She is tricky like that.

I like to keep her hair off her face with ponytails, pigtails or braids. This usually involves a lengthy discussion to convince her to sit quietly for me while I brush her hair and work the knots out. There are always lots of knots. I prefer to giver her braids because it ensures less food or other things get stuck in her hair. Ponytails and pigtails are great but the tips still get dirty. My goal has long been to give her a french braid and last night I accomplished that.

After her bath we sat together in her bed. She read through her compilation of Madeline stories while I took my time brushing her wet hair. Splitting her hair into two I started braiding the right side. It has been a long time since I have done a french braid. Maybe twenty years.

I started carefully, unsure how to pull the new pieces into the braid. At times it seemed like I didn't have enough fingers to hold all the pieces of hair. I finally found my rhythm and juggled the pieces of hair as I braided. Once both braids were done I took a moment to admire my work.

3 comments:

  1. sniff sniff, I will have to braid my nieces hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I had her hair in my hands.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww so sweet!
    Our daughter has long hair as well ... gorgeous but totally a trap for goo!

    ReplyDelete