You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cranky

The kids have both been up frequently these past few nights. This has been because of illness, temperature changes during the night and maybe teething. The result is that I am a cranky mess during the day. My temper is short. I find myself speaking briskly to the girl and being frustrated with the boy. In my worst moments I can't find any joy in them. I hate that.

I am longing for a break. A few, five, seven hours to myself where I could do whatever I want. Even though I don't know what exactly that would be. Unfortunately that is not to be this weekend. My dad, step-mom and mother-in-law are all coming to town for a visit and to celebrate both birthdays this weekend. So it will be busy and fun and I may find a few moments to myself in all the party planning.

The sleep disruption and my resulting mood has made me wonder how I functioned for so long getting up two or three times a night with the boy. Really, I am pretty amazed and impressed with myself for being as nice as I was to people. Everyone should consider themselves lucky.

7 comments:

  1. You should see me! My sleep gets disrupted once and it is like the world is ending. It is funny/amazing how we manage when they are little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, possibly due to the amazing healing powers of the great outdoors, you generally appear to be a kind and competent mother. But I totally sympathize with those desperate feelings. Thank goodness for the park and for other nice parents to commiserate with. I DO consider myself lucky--bumping into you at the park and chatting about the day always lightens the load.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that I can say is that I feel your pain. I am chronically sleep deprived and often cranky. I just keep chanting to myself, "I'm going to miss these days when they're older." Sometimes it helps.

    I hope we can both find some of the rest we need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope things settle down and you find at least a few minutes to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, you're not getting good sleep these days. I feel for you but mine is interrupted by the fact that I have to get up 2-3 times a night to pee. Baby's getting me back into the no sleep routine by stepping all over my bladder :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe I think it is different when they are infants. Some survival skill kicks on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amen...i think i actually wrote a post asking, "is it possible to die from sleep deprivation?" hang in there...

    ReplyDelete