You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Thursday, August 27, 2009

And then I felt better

I have been in a foul mood lately. Grumpy, cranky, irritable and pretty much not very fun to be around. It is due to a combination of tiredness, the change to the boy's napping schedule as he transitions to one nap and the resulting lack of time to myself during the day. (Really, I just want twenty minutes.) Today it was all compounded by the girl peeing her pants. Four times. Once at the grocery store. She hasn't had an accident in weeks so I found it particularly discouraging.

I have been walking around with my mean face on. I don't smile at people. I don't stop and chat with people I run into on the street. I may even scowl at you if you stop me to tell me how cute my kids are. Basically I will want to bite your head if you look at me the wrong way. In other words if you look at me at all.

Of course I am feeling guilty about feeling bad. Like I should just suck it up and get over it already. I should step it up and be a better mom to those cute kids that are getting snapped at when they don't put their shoes on fast enough or only sleep for fifteen minutes in the stroller. I should be happy with what I have and be thankful that it isn't worse. Blah, blah, blah.

I was firmly ensconced in my foul mood until I ran into a friend at the park. She was having a bad day too. She is struggling with her toddler who doesn't listen and her baby who doesn't sleep. She is feeling overwhelmed and lost. She knew what I was feeling.

All of a sudden I felt better. My bad mood is not totally gone, but it has improved. Not because I knew she felt bad, but because I knew I wasn't alone. Because I had someone to talk to who understood. Someone who not just sympathised but was there with me.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. isn't it amazing how alone we can feel sometimes. I really found it hard. Blogging really helped me in that area but often there is no replacing a real life person, and the help, sympathy or empathy they can offer.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not feeling alone totally makes a difference eh?

    It is so frustrating to be in a foul mood then feel worse because you are in a bad mood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misery loves company. But I hope you're feeling better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the "sleep changing" time! It is HARD!! We still go through it from time to time, but the BIG "1st" is the worst!! It will get better, and you will start feeling somewhat "normal" again! Hang in there girl, you are doing fine! xo

    ReplyDelete