You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Naked Chef

Jamie Oliver has nothing on the girl. He may be cute but there is nothing cuter than an almost three year old standing naked on a kitchen chair stirring a bowl of zucchini muffin batter. Wearing one green band-aid on her arm and a red one on her stomach.

Of course she didn't start off naked. The boy was having a nap and we were running low on snacks so I suggested we whip up some muffins. The last batch of muffins we made (banana in case you were wondering) was a big hit with the boy who is now eating wheat but not egg whites or dairy. This meant that I was looking for a vegan recipe. I had no luck finding a vegan zucchini muffin recipe so I made this one but replaced the eggs with some little travel containers of blueberry-applesauce that the girl doesn't like. It was that or water. We are running low on groceries.

The girl was having a grand old time baking, especially once the sugar got added to the batter. Thwarting my attempts to reduce her sugar intake by halving the sugar called for in the recipe (yes, I have turned into my mother on that one) she just started to eat it straight from the measuring cup and bowl when she thought I wasn't looking.

"Can I eat this?" she asked. "No" I said only to notice her licking her fingers when I returned from the cupboard with the baking powder and salt. Honestly I don't mind if she sneaks a little sugar because it really is only a little bit and she gets such joy from the illicitness of it all. It is when I find myself saying "don't lick your feet" that I realize I have to keep a closer watch on her and the sugar. The girl had spilled some of the sugar while she was pouring it into the mixing bowl and it had settled on the back and seat of the chair. She must have realized what that strange texture on her feet was because there she was sucking it off of her toes. She was pretty committed to that sugar because I had to ask her twice.

(It was definitely one of those moments where I couldn't quite believe the words that were coming out of my mouth.)

We had almost finished mixing all the ingredients together when I heard an "uh oh" from the girl. As any parent knows those are not words you want to want to hear. Especially from the child themselves. While washing her hands the girl had started to pee. All over her dress, the kitchen chair and the rug below. It was totally my fault because she hadn't peed the last time I had her sit on the potty and then I had just lost track of time. She is really doing quite well and only has the occasional accident, but I guess there is nothing like the thrill of zucchini muffins to distract her from asking for the bathroom.

So there we were in the kitchen, one of us naked and the other laughing. Now if only I could get her to actually eat the muffins.

7 comments:

  1. :) great story! And... sugar is practically muffins, it's just short a few ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! That's something my son would do...lick the sugar until the last drop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I'm laughing so hard there are tears streaming down my face. "Don't lick your feet." Oh, this is going to keep me going for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you dairy and egg restricted due to allergies? Or just because you haven't introduced those yet?

    My son has dairy and egg allergies so I have a few recipes you can try if you're looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably would've just let her keep licking her feet, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with Julie....SOOOO FUNNY!! I can SO picture my 3 yo doing the SAME thing!! My children LOVE to run around naked! It is all I can do to keep clothes on them! And GOOD for the girl, she is doing awesome with her potty training, only 2 and says "uh-oh" for accidents...my 3 yo just yells at me "MOMMY!! I WENT PEE PEE ON THE FLOOR!! CHANGE ME!!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I respect her efforts at maximizing her sugar intake. 3 year old's feet are still cute enough that it isn't gross.

    ReplyDelete