You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, July 19, 2009

I don't eat you, why are you getting me sick?

This is one of those times when being vegetarian doesn't make a difference.

We have the swine flu. At least we think we do. According to the Internet research the husband did we do. And in the opinion of the dad at the park we spoke with this afternoon, who spent a few hours online trying to figure out why his family was so sick, we do. I am going to do a self-diagnosis and say we do.

We have all the symptoms. A running nose and bad cough that turns into a hacking cough and sore throat. (Right now it feels like there is a tennis ball in my throat and every time I swallow I want to scream.) A loss of appetite and headache. In the husband's case he has an earache. Crankiness, irritability and grumpiness. Okay, those last ones aren't really symptoms but that is how we are all feeling.

I have to admit, I thought the kids were just fighting off a bad cold and the husband was just being a suck. Because he has a tendency to be a big suck when he gets sick. Then I got sick and I realized this is awful, horrible and more than just a regular cold or flu. It just doesn't seem to go away.

The kids have both been sick since last Tuesday. Today is day five and we are only seeing slight improvements in the two of them. The boy's cough is a bit better but the girl sounds like she is smoking a pack a day. She woke up at 5 am this morning coughing and then couldn't get back to sleep. Still, it was much better than the 4:30 wake up yesterday.

Our coping mechanisms the past few days have involved lots of tv time for the girl. We usually try to limit how much she watches but with her exhaustion, our limited energy and the need for her to be quiet while her brother naps, it is a bit of a free-for-all. Thankful the husband got a new Franklin video from the library and downloaded some Backyardigans episodes before all this happened so we are set.

The hardest part of all of this is that the kids just aren't themselves. They are both so unhappy and clingy. The girl is throwing tantrums I didn't even know she was capable of. There is usually at least one a day that I wished I had video taped. But at least she doesn't look all glassy eyed anymore. It is actually more worrisome when she becomes docile and obedient. Then I know she is really sick.

I am missing the real girl and boy a bit. I will not miss these sick versions off themselves once they are gone! In his moment of looking on the bright side the husband has commented how easy everything will seem once none of us is sick anymore. Like a walk in a park that is no longer infested with killer bees.

I am looking on the bright side too. Getting sick means that I can cancel my dentist appointment for tomorrow morning. It would be very wrong to subject the poor, innocent staff at my dentist office to this debilitating and horrific flu. I could never live with myself if I responsible for getting them sick. Yes, cancelling is really the noble and safe thing to do. It has nothing at all to do with the fact that I have an intense hatred/ deepening phobia of visiting the dentist. Not at all.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry to hear you are all feeling so bad. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like what I had just before the swine broke out. It totally sucks. We were lucky that I contained it to myself. Though the jellybean is not quite himself lately, hopefully it isn't coming back!

    Good luck! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pigs are not to be trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pigs are not to be trusted - hee-hee.

    My husband is a 'suck' sick too.

    Sorry you may/may not have the swine flu. I can't imagine. Yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, poor you guys! I can't imagine what it would be like for everyone to be sick at the same time. No fair! Take turns!! Don't they teach that in pre-school?

    ReplyDelete