You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Thursday, July 16, 2009

A first

I wasn't blogging when the girl was a baby or a toddler. How I wish I had been because there are so many things that I thought I would never forget that I have already forgotten. I am pretty sure her first word was "mama" but I can't remember how old she was when she said it. I think she was eight months old when she started crawling but I can't be sure. Why didn't I write this stuff down? Or maybe I did and I just can't remember where?

A first did happen just the other day and I found myself thinking "aha, I have to blog about this. I don't want to forget about this?". It wasn't what you would think of as a typical first: counting, writing letters, heading off to school. No, nothing like that. But it was pretty exciting to me. It was her first taste of Nutella.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Nutella. The first time I tried it I was in high school. Such yumminess wasn't really allowed in our house because of the sugar content (I had the mother that automatically halved the sugar in any cookie recipe) but a friend always had it stocked in her kitchen. This friend's father was German and Nutella somehow counted as a healthy snack in his way of thinking. So not only was I in love with Nutella for it's hazelnut/ chocolate taste but because it also had a foreign, exotic air.

On Tuesday a sample of Nutella arrived in the mail. (Okay, I actually had to go to the Nutella website and order the samples but same difference.) I was excited but since the girl likes to open packages I managed to refrain from ripping it open and devouring it immediately. Once she saw what it was she wanted to try it of course. So I let her. Let's just say that she likes Nutella almost as much as I do. Maybe even more.

I spread some of the Nutella on two crackers for her. The first cracker she ate sitting at the kitchen table. She was very gleeful. In what I can only describe as earning major mommy brownie points I even made her some freshly squeezed orange juice because the Nutella packaging had a glass of orange juice on it, we didn't have OJ and she was very insistent that she needed it to go with the "nuela". She drank the juice with a purple plastic straw.

She ate the second cracker sitting on the floor. I guess "ate" is a bit misleading. In reality she licked the second cracker clean. She asked if she could lick the knife I had used to spread the Nutella on the crackers. I said no. She stuck her fingers into the little Nutella packet to remove the last little bits the knife had missed. I asked her not to eat with her fingers.

I think another lifelong Nutella fan has been created. She even wanted to eat the second package that had arrived in the mail. I said we would save it for a special occasion. "Like my birthday?" she asked. "We could take it to my birthday party and share it with everyone!" she exclaimed. I told her that was a nice idea, but that we could eat it ourselves later.

I haven't told her yet that it is no longer in the kitchen cupboard where she saw me hide it out of her reach. Later that night, after a long evening, I opened up that second package and spread it all on some pita bread with strawberry jam I made last summer. Yum.

She is going to be disappointed. I will have to go out and buy a full size jar of Nutella. For the girl, of course.

3 comments:

  1. That is so cute and funny!
    We got the Nutella samples in the mail too, and I must confess my husband and I each licked a packet clean on the walk home from the mailbox! What will the neighbours think? WHO CARES! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutella is awesome! I like to spread it on crepes. I remember eating another really good spread when I was a kid but don't remember the name-It had a cinnamon taste to it and was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! I just got my sample in the mail this morning! I have never had it before and have no idea what to do with it! Eat with a spoon? :)

    ReplyDelete