You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, June 26, 2009

Naps day two

Thank you all so much for your comments on my last post! It was good to know how some of you deal with it.

The boy is sleeping now. The girl and I had a long talk in preparation. She parroted back that the boy's nap is important, she won't yell and will be patient and wait for me in her room. She is either very good at lying already or believes in her own version of selective truth.

I was nursing the boy in his room when I heard the click of the girl's door. I heard her thump towards the boy's door and start yelling "Mama, come out! I need you". I heard her pound on the door. I heard more yelling. But thanks to my new strategy of ignoring her she eventually gave up and wandered away. I decided to try non-engagement because responding back obviously isn't working.

I managed to get the boy to sleep in his crib before she came back for round two. I opened his door just as she was heading to it. Interestingly she was wearing her bathing suit. Backwards. If that is what it takes to keep her quiet I may just dump her entire closet into the middle of her bedroom floor.

The first thing she said to me? "I was patient mommy!". Umm, sure. "Yes, I said but next time can you please not pound on the door and yell".

Small steps, right?

2 comments:

  1. That's actually pretty cute... hopefully her 'patience' will last and be something she'll get used to. I can imagine it must be hard taking second stage when you're used to being number one in mama's world all the time.

    Thanks for your kind comment & support on my post this morning. I am still dealing with the problem and will probably do another post once I get things figured out one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting something to work! I hope it keeps up.

    ReplyDelete