You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Claps, naps and hair splitting

We have been figuring some stuff out around here.

The boy has figured out how to clap. Today he brought his chubby little hands together in a clap for the first time. We were sitting on the floor with the girl and I was clapping when he decided to mimic me. His clap didn't actually make any noise but he seemed quite pleased by it. I imagined that the girl was thinking "what's the big deal? I clap all the time". The husband is trying to teach him baby sign language now. The girl just wants to know what the sign for "big sister" is.

I have figured out why the girl isn't napping. Well, she is still napping but only on the weekends. So really I have figured out why she isn't napping during the week when she is home with just me and I could really use a twenty minute break!

At first I thought she was napping, and when I say napping I mean having two three hour naps this past weekend, because the husband was home and he is so boring that she may as well nap. :-) Then I realized that she isn't napping during the week because that is the only period of time all day she can have me to herself. For that hour or so when the boy is napping, and she should be napping too, I am hers all hers. This theory is being supported by the rest of her behaviour lately. She only wants me to put her to bed at night, she wants me to push the stroller, she wants to sit in my lap all the time.

I think that the realization that she has to share me with her brother is only now becoming an issue. As he crawls and stands and makes his desires known (just try taking him away from anything he wants and he flails his body and shrieks) she has to vie for my attention in a way that she didn't have to when he was a younger, more passive baby. And so she is pulling out all her tricks. Hmm, this probably also explains the biting.

My goal this weekend is going to be to spend some one-on-one time with her. I was trying to do that a few months ago but our dates got lost in the craziness of life. Let's see if some special time together will make a difference. Maybe it will convince her that I really am boring too!

Lastly, the girl has figured out the subtle nuances that exist in the English language. Arriving home from school on Monday, my arms full with backpacks, groceries and the boy, the girl had run ahead to the kitchen and was yelling for a snack. Apparently I was not moving quickly enough for her.

"EIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

"No yelling please. There is no yelling in the house."

"I'm not yelling. I'm screaming. This is screaming. EIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!"

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's always so nice to find another Mom blogger right here in Ottawa!

    Ah, yes, just about the time the baby got mobile was when my oldest started to show signs of jealousy. Fun times! Spending extra time with your daughter is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete