You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Monday, May 18, 2009

Things you don't want to pull out of your baby's mouth

This post probably won't make the husband or I look too good. Grandparents should stop reading now.

As the husband and I sat on the living room floor this afternoon playing with the boy and giving him some bare bum time to help prevent any diaper rash, I noticed him hacking as if to clear his throat. He was chewing on one of his sister's toys, but I didn't think that he could have broken off a piece of that. I grabbed him and stuck my finger into his mouth. Out came a nickle sized piece of the blue paint that has been recently flaking off of the bottom of the park wading pool.

It had been in his mouth for four hours. Throughout his lunch of cereal and apples, his nap and even a walk with his dad. This explained why he hadn't wanted to breastfeed. This explained why he had spat up on the husband's shirt after his nap.

I even know how it happened. I was sitting in the sand near the playstrucutre talking to another mom who was holding the boy. She was going on and on about how cute he was so of coarse I let her hold him. At one point I noticed a blue paint flake on his shirt. It must have been in the sand.

I feel really bad. Tell me I'm not the only one. What have you pulled out of your kids' mouths?

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! Good thing you caught it in the end. I'm gonna go with 'totally not your fault'... they do that! I don't have any last-minute extraction stories (yet?) to share! One day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not the only one, trust me. It was way easier baby-proofing our house when we only had one baby to take care of - now that we have an almost 4 year old and a baby (well, 16 month old now) it's hard to baby proof! I've had to take out marbles from baby's mouth. Other small toys. Lots of mouthfuls of sand at at the park (gross), and so much more... you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete