You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Nothing to say?

I almost didn't bother blogging tonight. After all, what was there to say? There were no tantrums, no extended periods of crying, no stories of the girl licking play structures today. Both kids actually napped at the same time. Everyone was in a good mood. It was like the twilight zone descended on our house. If this is normal, I'm not used to it.

But I can't not blog. It has become a daily habit and I love it. Instead of complaining about the kids today I will share two yummy recipes we had this week.

The first is "b-b-q" tofu. It is actually quite good, even if it doesn't sound too impressive. You could serve it over potatoes, like we did this week, in a sandwich or wrap, or even as filling for rice paper rolls. To make it: grate two blocks of tofu into a slow cooker. Add 1/4 tsp of garlic powder, a 15 oz can of tomato sauce, 3 tbs of brown sugar, 2 tbs of soy sauce and 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar. Stir well and cook on low for 5 hours.

For dinner tonight I made a salad and Tempeh Reuben sandwiches from the Vegetarian Times. They are so easy to make. Just simmer the tempeh in vegetable broth for 20 minutes and then assemble on toasted bread. I served the sandwiches with cheese and skipped the sauerkraut. It is also good with sliced avocado.

I have just started cooking with tempeh and it is not as scary as I had thought. I always used to be intimidated by it when I would see it in the health food store. I finally took the plunge last fall and made Cajun meatloaf with sweet bourbon glaze from Vegan Dad. That has now become my fancy party food recipe. I made it for thanksgiving, Christmas, my dad and stepmom's visit. Really, all I need is an excuse to whip it out.

In case you are wondering if the girl ate any of these healthy, nutritious meals I slaved over, the answer is no. She used to eat anything we put in front of her, but since she turned two she has started turning her nose up at most things. We make her try a few bites, even though she is already convinced she will hate it, and then let her eat a bowl of cereal.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for your lovely comments my way this past week. truly. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying blogging everyday! It becomes a bit addictive, huh?

    ReplyDelete